Garbage for sale at Home Depot

snip

John,

That was mighty thoughtful of you to take on all of that bad feng shui so your buyer didn't have to deal with it. What a guy! :-)

Mark & Juanita

There was just an article in the WashPost that said a separate room that functions strictly as a library in a house is going by the wayside. Now we have the explanation as to why - bad feng shui.

From another article - according to Vedic design it's best if one's head faces east when sleeping. According to feng shui it's bad to have one's head under a window. A dilemma. To place my bed such that the headboard faces east, it must be under the window. What to do, what to do...

Renata

Reply to
Renata

You'll enjoy this little snippet then. San Diego North County. I'm out on the patio of house I was renting grabbing some sun and reading and two women show up in my neighbor's back yard. It's really more of a communal strip of grass at the back of the 4 condo unit.

They have coat hangers in their hands that have been cut and bent into L's and they are pacing back and forth along her portion of the grass in an orderly manner. I'm thinking "California..." but curiosity gets the better of me and I ask what they are doing.

Oh and this lady just can't wait to explain her work. She comes over all excited and says that they are mapping the energy fields of my neighbor's yard and house. Both positive and negative fields. You apparently don't want negative energy fields in your kitchen and you definitely don't want them in your bedroom. She related this recent horror story where she found that a woman's pillow was right at a major crossing of negative energy field lines! OMG!

I then asked her what they could do when they found bad field lines. And by God the energy field line people have come up with a little blivit that diverts field lines to where you need them to go. American engineering at it's finest.

Holding back my tongue I noted that I had no idea energy field manipulation technology had progressed so far and went back to my reading. They continued to map the neighbor's yard.

This is a true story btw. Adventures of an transplanted east coaster.... Saying the whole state is full of nuts and flakes it a bit of an exaggeration... but not by much.

cheers ml

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

Hah! If it was me, I'd have fed their story a bit with some suggestion that hole in the ozone layer were in fact amplifying the negative energy fields.

Reply to
Upscale

"Renata" wrote

Buy a book on feng shui. Paint a target on it. Bring it to the local firing range. Use this far eastern crap manual as a target.

Then hang the shot up feng shui manual in an appropriate place in the room.

Gauranteed to balace out any bad feng shui in the room!!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

What I would have done is get some pink flamingos and plant them in the grass strip. Tell your neigbors that the tacky pink birds balance out the effects of the nuts and flakes next door.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:XbKdnRFbqOluGk snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

And piss off my good Chinese neighbors? The ones who profess not to hear the power tools running at all hours? I don't think so!

If they are more comfortable with this model of the universe, good for them. There are many things, seen and unseen, that defy my understanding.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

You got it. My bed faces south, and the head is under a window. I enclosed a room to make a library about 12 years ago. We spend more time there than anywhere but my office or the bedroom.

By the way, WTF is feng shui? Sounds like a bad attach of intestinal gas.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Around here we eat nuts and flakes for breakfast.

My neighbour Andre recently had his driveway repaved. Before any digging, however, some guy in a truck had to trot out an expensive looking piece of equipment to map the buried gas and power lines. First he attached some sort of grounding wire to the gas pipe (a plastic pipe), then walked about the yard with his machine. Andre, a ham radio operator, watched closely. After that performance and the bill was paid, he dug into his stash of electronics goodies and cobbled together a $5 rig that could do the same job.

A few days later the "inspector" returned, Andre asked him about the fancy meter and showed off his own setup. The guy smiled and told him his was worth about thirty thousand dollars. Then he rummaged around in his truck for a moment, and pulled out a five cent piece of stiff wire, bent into an 'L'. After a quick demonstration he awarded it to Andre, I guess to one-up the guy who one-upped him. Andre swears that it works, but nobody knows why.

He's now waiting for Halloween so he can wrap himself in tinfoil (to block any influence of his own) and try again. He figures that's the only day of the year he can get away with pacing around the front yard wearing tinfoil from head to toe. After all, around here we eat nuts and flakes for breakfast.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

FWIW -

I wonder if there is a direct correlation to the amount of READING {and commensurate COMPREHENSION] in our current society? I'm sure you all have seen or received an e-mail with no capitalization or punctuation. Plus ridiculous spelling errors. {MINE stinks . . but I care enough to touch a few keys and use the 'Spellchecker' }.

This is not just about stupid or 'ignorant' people. My BIL works for a stock brokerage and is an opera & music 'aficionado'. Several months ago he asked me to show him my computer set-up {a rather basic configuration . . . at about 10 years old, it still 'does' everything I need}. After about 15 minutes, his soon-to-be wife came into the 12 x 15 room that is 'my office' & 'our library'. {BEFORE we even bought this house - maybe 30 years ago - we knew this room would be OUR library. One of my first 'home projects' was to put up 12in deep, floor-to-ceiling bookshelves on 1-1/2 walls. The 'remainder' of the space is for the desk, computer & supplies, and file cabinets.} This woman looked around with, literally, wide-eyed disbelief. "WOW - look at all the BOOKS !!". How . ., Why . ., What . ., etc. Not even thinking, I told her these were almost all mine - pointing out 'sections' on boatbuilding, woodworking, engineering, history, magazine files, etc. "Joanne's desk & her medical books are in the next room, and we probably donate about a third as many to the library". Both good people - yet although they don't have a library card between them, in their one-bedroom apartment they DO HAVE a 42inch TV, a 'state-of-the-art sound system, 100's of hours of CD's & DVD's, and now an up-to-the-minute, including Internet Cable, computer system !!

Amazing . . .

Regards & Thanks, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {and 'Certified Curmudgeon' ?? }

Reply to
Ron Magen

Be even more fun to watch their heads explode by telling them that latest research showed that the use of negative energy diverters was causing the ozone hole to expand [at an alarming rate].

Mark & Juanita

... snip

Somewhat of a diversion, but around here the underground utility search is free to the homeowner. Hopefully this is not a harbinger of things to come in the rest of the country. Course, round here, if folks were charged for the survey, they more than likely would just start digging and take their chances.

Mark & Juanita

I put a foot firmly in both worlds about ten years ago. After years of wrestling with shelf space and carting hundreds of books from one house to another, I now have about 7,000 titles ... and all but about 50 of them are on two DVD's.

My eBook holds about 50 titles at a time, I don't need a box to cart all of them on a trip, or a light to read them in bed, and it turns itself off in

10 minutes when I fall asleep and haven't turned a page. While I still have a few treasured books around, and love a library, I realized then that it was the actual reading, rather than the storing and carting around, that I preferred.

... and with a leather case on the eBook, ALL my volumes are leather bound. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

There is more than one person with a Masters flipping burgers in this society. Reading level doesn't always determine status. I'll bet there are many more readers in the homeless group than there are in working society. It's sad to see libraries go.

Well, at least she recognized the medium as the fabled "book", eh?

Ain't it, though?

When I moved up here 3 years ago, I brought over 400 books with me. Since I've been here, I've checked out almost that many from the local library. I've read about 1/2 of those cover to cover, used another 1/4 for research or data collection, and determined the other 1/4 as not being worth the time. (When I start chewing on a subject, I get all the books on that subject from each the library branches sent to the local branch and then determine their worth.) I have no doubt that I may have crossed the new fine line during that time and my library card has an FBI file started on it.

Let's see, first they limit our freedom of flying, then they take away the books. What's next in this Brave New World of Shrub's?

--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------

Refreshing Graphic Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Too damn bad all that book reading didn't do a thing for either your paranoia, or your inability to resist taking needless political potshots in a woodworking forum.

Reply to
Swingman

Seems to me his was an attempt at wry humor, at least that's my read. And -you're- talking about -books- and -books on cd- in a

-woodworking- forum. Where's the diff?

Regards,

Wes

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Did you convert your paper copies to the media, or did you aquire all new books? If the former, how did you scan everything?

Does the ebook handle inline diagrams/pictures?

curious

Reply to
Philip Lewis

And you haven't been paying attention these past few years, have you?

If you don't/won't/can't _read_ start with the phrase: "needless political potshots".

Reply to
Swingman

It's a long, sad story ... when they were readily available, before corporate greed came to the forefront and screwed the technology, and therefore the concept itself, you could buy most any of the top ten titles in any category on Amazon, Powells, or Barnes and Nobles.

There are still hundreds of thousands of the finest titles in English literature available at Project Gutenberg

for free... more than you can read in a lifetime.

I pretty well stick to 19th century English authors for recreational reading ... anything else I buy in hard cover, or check out at the library.

Some eBook readers do/did ... at least before corporate greed entered the picture. (NPI).

Reply to
Swingman

That's why you took the time to quote and return it to the same woodworking forum, eh, Swingy?