gage block accuracy

What's the difference between +- .001 and +- 10 minutes?

Reply to
tommyboy

There is no comparison. One's a linear measure and the other is an angular measure.

Reply to
CW

.001 is the measurement

10 minutes is the time needed to find the damned caliper to check the measurement.

The difference is that if you don't find it in 10 minutes, you use the block anyway.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

:)

Reply to
CW

One's the accuracy in height (a length), the other is the accuracy in levelness (an angle)

In a woodworking group, both are far bettter than you care about.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

under the heading: How do you convert to Degrees from Degrees: Minutes:Seconds on the site,

is a whole world of surface symbols and terminology for drawings and specs, generally not needed in ww, and angle is a part of it. But this is just a format. Although this site may be showing a sphere, the calculation is the same, and the format is for angle, 360 for a full rev. 359 degrees,

59`, 59`` the next lower, though can`t say about decimals or further.

As a set of parameters it may be x dim at y angle, a parallax parameter restriction, with a reference point(s), but my bet is its a screw up.

Reply to
bent

If you run into symbols try googling "GD&T symbols". Geometric dimentioning and tolerancing. These symbols are the words of a language. Filled in with actual values they can be combined in a bewildering combination of meanings.

instance how 'straight is the cutting edge of straight shaft router bit? How to test? based on say the axis of the 1/4" or 1/2" shaft (co-axial), or compared to how flat the end is, or vice versa. Or the surface finish itself. On a complex part, wheeeee!! These shorthand lines are not limited to one liners, and also indicate machining operations.

Reply to
bent

an egg sample

bent

To my understaanding, (and I did work in a carbide manufacturing machine shop) .001 is 1/000 of an inch. The 10 minutes is a fraction of one degree of angle. I never heard of minutes being involved the thickness. Roughly

25/1000 inch = 1millimeter.
Reply to
Michael Hearn Anna Houpt

Nope. 1 mm = 0.03937inches.

Reply to
Doug Miller

OR 25.4 mm = 1 inch which may be the source of the confusion - thwe 25 in 25/1000" - 1 mm

Reply to
charlie b

After reading through the replies I thought of a few more things to add.

Sure enough, in many disciplines linear measurements are expressed in decimal format and even though you don't mention any units, 0.001 is often referred to as 1/1000 of an inch. Or, if you are inclined to use the metric system, this would be 1/1000 of a meter - which is very commonly referred to as a "micron".

You did choose to include units on the second example. As others have stated, a "minute" is a unit of angular measurement equal to 1/60 of a degree. Ten minutes (of arc) would be 1/6 of a degree. The "+/-" indicates that the range is a total of 1/3 of a degree (which would likely be enough to screw up all but pointy sticks and pukey ducks). Angles are divided into degrees, minutes, and seconds (1/60 of a minute).

How do these two relate? Without context, the other posters are right

- it's apples and oranges. However, it's not unusual to use the linear measurement to describe the accuracy of an angular artifact. For example, it's very common for the accuracy of squares and angle blocks to be specified as a total deviation from the ideal over a fixed distance. This one specification supplies two important pieces of information. First, it indicates how flat the gauging surface is. Second, it indicates the maximum possible angular error (assuming that it is lowest at one end and highest at the other).

In your example, if we assume that +/-0.001 is inches, and that it is indicating a total error of +/-10 minutes of arc then I would suppose that the artifact is about 3 inches long (2.908"). Such an instrument would be inadequate for machinery setup. But, it could be used to mark wood if you like to cut to a line.

H> What's the difference between +- .001 and +- 10 minutes?

Reply to
ejb

Interesting. I had always called it a millimeter .

Reply to
alexy

OOPS! You're right. 0.001 meters is a millimeter. 0.001 mm is a micron. Nothing like being a few orders of magnitude off...

Thanks, Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

ejb

ok, GD&T is not just surface and vice versa. The control block format with words has a nomenclature of operator, operatees, etc. Just like grammar, its structure is immediately sensible, but is powerful using planes, immaginary and perfect references ...

The standard suface finish symbol is a one liner and its general format is given under

2: How to Read the Surface Finish Symbols, at
documents all apply to this one liner symbol, and this symbol alone
Reply to
bent

Doug, we don't always agree on things, but I'm in perfect agreement with your sig line. Where do I get my feathered headdress?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

You'll have to make your own. Just be careful where you get the feathers. It's apparently illegal to even possess the feathers of certain species of bird, even if they're molted feathers that you picked up off the ground.

BTW -- I started using that sig shortly after the Supreme Court announced its decision in Kelo vs. New London (the eminent domain ruling).

Reply to
Doug Miller

a meter is a meter. an inch is an inch. micro is a millionth;, theres one million micrometers or microns in a meter. nothing to do with a .001", a thousandth of an inch, or the imperial system. A thousandth of an ich is for those who don't think a 64th or 128th is really a good way to divide an inch. Its still the same inch in the first place. Just because its been divided by ten, then that can be divided by ten, etc.does mean it has anything to do with the metric system, micrometers or microns, which are just that long, but historically have been divided by 10, 10, 10 etc. Each time you divide by ten you just write down another digit, you don't need to track down a king for a new body part. a mil is the same thing as a 1000th of an inch .(001"). When you buy plastic you buy 6 mil plastic, it is 6 thousandths of an inch thick. mil as in milli, or thousandth, not million, not meteric. btw 4 mil plastic is really thin, don't use it. If you can rip it apart its probly not to code.

A 64th of an inch is 1/64" = .015625; which is no tenths of an inch

1 hundredths of an inch 5 thousandths of an inch 6 ten thousandths of an inch 2 hundred thousands of an inch 5 millionths of an inch

What is: most of 2 inches & 33/64ths thick subtract a half inch (well about

2/3 of a 16th less than that), shifted the majority of 7/16 to the right, and accounting for moiture content, and alowing for the thickness of five layers of paint on a tape measure? If I know it has to be tight to within say 3/128"; or say at exactly the point, but projected at 90 dergrees 4 inches away at thatis point, plus or minus 1/128", bu t when that
Reply to
bent

Uh, Ed, it is even MORE common to refer to 1/1000 of a meter as a millimeter. A micron is 1/1000 of a millimeter, or 1/1,000,000 (millionth) of a meter. :)

Reply to
lwasserm