Furniture design references? (mainly modern, non-rustic style)

Hallo! I am trying to fill my 'DIY furniture design' shelf. After googling a little in this NG, I got the feeling that Taunton Books are some sort or 'Must Have', and so I think that 'Designing Furniture' id going to stay on the shelf, together with some more subject-specific books. On the other hand, I am mostly interested in modern (and NON-RUSTIC) style: looking the only review present at Amazon's for Taunton's 'Modern furniture projects', it seems not the book for me.

Browsing Amazon I found an "In the modern style" which seems more oriented to my own tastes, but there's no review, and it is difficult to judge these sort of books from the TOC. Does anybody hear knows about it?

However, as for me getting books from Amazon means always a couple of week wait and a significant shipping cost (I am from Italy, which should also give you some more clues about my tastes), it would be great if some of you could help me with some suggestions.

Thank you, Luciano

Reply to
Feanorelf

They make many books. I wouldn't regard them all as "must haves", but I've yet to see a bad one. There are other publishers too though.

So what _do_ you like ? "Modern" is just too vague a term. Can you name some designer or periods / styles that you're looking to emulate?

We're also woodworkers in here, mainly at the craft end of things. Although some of us work in a "modern" idiom, that's still a different style from someone like Memphis who are working for mass-production design.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You're right. Unfortunately I am not such a furniture design expert. In any case, I am not thinking of modern 'classics'. If it can help, I like the style of most of B&B furniture: especially I love the 'solo' serie by Antonio Citterio, if it can be of some hint.

Bye, Luciano

Reply to
Feanorelf

Mon, Jul 19, 2004, 8:20pm (EDT+6) snipped-for-privacy@fatwebnet.it (Feanorelf) waves, and says: Hallo! I am trying to fill my 'DIY furniture design' shelf. After googling a little in this NG, I got the feeling that Taunton Books are some sort or 'Must Have', and so I think that 'Designing Furniture' id going to stay on the shelf, together with some more subject-specific books. On the other hand, I am mostly interested in modern (and NON-RUSTIC) style: looking the only review present at Amazon's for Taunton's 'Modern furniture projects', it seems not the book for me. Browsing Amazon I found an "In the modern style" which seems more oriented to my own tastes, but there's no review, and it is difficult to judge these sort of books from the TOC. Does anybody hear knows about it? However, as for me getting books from Amazon means always a couple of week wait and a significant shipping cost (I am from Italy, which should also give you some more clues about my tastes), it would be great if some of you could help me with some suggestions. Thank you, Luciano

I always like to go thru a book, in person, before I buy it, but you might not be able to do that. I've found this link quite handy. I compares prrices between various sites, on the same books, including Amazon.

Amazon also offers used books at times, sometimes at a large price difference. I'd keep an eye out for those.

I've ordered a few books from England, Scotland, Canada, Australia, South Africa. Couldn't find them elsewhere. I've never been terribly concerned with the time in shipping, so I often ask for surface shipping. That works out as less sometimes. I think the longest one was a book from England, took over a month, and when it finally got here, not a mark on the wrapping, in perfect shape, and only the senders oriinal postage. Amazing. All the books were gotten thru eBay, which you might want to try. If you do, be sure what the shipping cost is before you bid, some people really charge a lot.

I get most of my books, woodworing, and otherwise, from used bookstores. You might want to try that. And, your local libray may have some in stock - to borrow.

Personally, most woodworking book I see, I wouldn't really care to buy, unless they're priced quite low, they usually only have one or two things that really interest me. That being said, I've still wound up with a personal collection of woodworking books, larger than the local library.

JOAT

We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience.

- Nanny Ogg

Reply to
J T

A biased opinion to be sure, but in my view, it is a classic; my credenza is on the back cover. Design, design process, construction, all in the same text; what elese is there? If only one piece inspires it's worth the 20 bucks. No need for a review. Maybe leaf through the thing at B&N.

(Routers)

**************************
Reply to
Routerman P. Warner

I think you'll like it -- it covers a number of projects that have clean modern lines.

A couple of other books I recommend:

The Veneer Book, by David Shath Square. All about veneering, and most of thefeatured projects are very modern in style.

Furniture fo the 21st Century, Betty Norbury. Features work by a number of leading British designers.

Neither of the above have DIY plans, but have fgreat photos.

A magazine you should look for is the British Furniture and Cabinetmaking, published by the Guild of Master Craftsmen publishers. They feature a lot of modern stuff.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Thank you for the book you suggested. I still have a doubt: about which one do you refer to, as the one I'll like: In the modern style or Modern furniture projects?

Thank you, Luciano

Reply to
Feanorelf

:> Feanorelf wrote: :> :> :> :> I think you'll like it -- it covers a number of projects that have clean :> modern lines. :>

: Thank you for the book you suggested. : I still have a doubt: about which one do you refer to, as the one I'll : like: In the modern style or Modern furniture projects?

In the Modern Style.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss