Bookcases design book

Hallo again! As I am now trying to make my own 'woodworking' bookshelf, I am now choosing a book to begin with bookcase design: browsing Amazon and looking at ebay I got to three book to choose among:

Tauntons's bookcases, Engler bookcases & desks Woodsmith bookcases, shelves & cabinets.

While Amazon allowed me to browse inside the TOC of Taunton's, I have little more than the title for the other two.

For the first book, even when projects are welcome, I am more interested in design criteria (i.e. how to avoid to have 'banana' shelves after one month without reinforcing them with 6-inches steel I-beams, by choosing the correct materials, thks and arrangement).

What book among the three (or other ones, if you feel like) would you suggest me?

Thanks, Luciano

Reply to
Feanorelf

Mon, Jul 26, 2004, 9:17pm (EDT+6) snipped-for-privacy@fatwebnet.it (Feanorelf) says: Hallo again! As I am now trying to make my own 'woodworking' bookshelf, Tauntons's bookcases, Engler bookcases & desks Woodsmith bookcases, shelves & cabinets. how to avoid to have 'banana' shelves choosing the correct materials, thks and arrangement). What book among the three (or other ones, if you feel like) would you suggest me?

I haven't looked any of the three books. But, I like all the Tauton books I have, so I figure you'd probably be happy if you picked tht one.

Never heard them called "bananna" shelves before, but know what you mean. I prefer reinforcement of some type maybe every 2 feet or so, maybe 18 inches, under the shelves. Maybe a strip fastened under the shelf, the whole length, with an upright strip at the front, bottom to top. Looks good to me, and has been plenty strong enough. Of course, you could get fancier, and make a nice wooden support to go under the shelf every 2 foot or so, but for my own stuff, I don't do that.

But, rather than spend good money for a book you may only use once, there's plenty of free plans on the web. hehehe Even if there's none you like, you can always get ideas from looking at them. Here's a few to start with.

tennis shoes won't cure a sore toe.

- Bazooka Joe THE NEW COPPERPLATE

J T

Actually 'banana' and 'imbananarsi' (i.e. 'getting bananaed') or 'imbarcarsi' (which means 'getting a boat profile') are Italian expression meaning the same thing: a straight plane which get convex under a force or because of moisture or whathever other cause (mostly you used the term to indicate an undesired effect).

Bye, Luciano

Reply to
Feanorelf

Luciano:

I have the Woodsmith and the Tauton books. I don't have them handy, but from memory, it seems that the Woodsmith book had some of the material you were looking for. That is how to chose the material for the shelves, etc. The Tauton book concentrated more on different designs. Both are very good and clear on the designs but I believe you'll find the Woodsmith one a bit more comprehensive as to the topics you wanted to researched.

I would also look on-line Wood magazine I believe has some on-line resources, as I also believe that Popular Woodworking as well.

If you are here in the States, perhaps visiting a well stocked Barnes and Noble or Borders will help you choose the right book. Also Woodcraft sells the Tauton book.

If you're overseas, can't help you there except to do the online search I suggested.

Ciao,

MJ

Reply to
MJ Wallace

I have that one. If it addresses shelf loads, I can't recall. I believe it just might - but there have been a number of articles in rags about this subject, from FWW to Wood. IIRC, Wood had a fairly comprehensive review of shelving, edge banding and sagging.

I like the Taunton book very much - but I look to it for more design/style inspiration.

Reply to
patrick conroy