Ignoramus15841

If I bought it, I would hook it directly to the incoming main wires, or perhaps even snake some wires out and bypass the meter entirely.

- Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
Matt

I know where you're coming from but the mistake I think you're making is that you are thinking of this device as a subpanel and not as a power strip, which is what it is more like.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

#12 extension cord from the BORG, plugged right into the convenience outlet in the bottom of the pole transformer and into the handy dandy panel.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

That each outlet has its own breaker, is a feature similar to what a subpanel provides (protection for individual circuits). A power strip, at best, protects the entire strip.

Looks like we are not actually disagreeing, but rather are looking at this issue from differing angles.

Ignoramus15841

I'd say that is correct sir.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

In summaryl, no splice shall rely on solder for mechanical and electrical connections per 2002 NEC 110.14(b)

IMHO: this means you can use solder to dress up the splice, or tin the tips of stranded wire for easier wirenutting.

As for grounding: I remember re-itterates no fusable metals, but don't remember where. But 110.14(b) basicly says no.

hth,

tom @

The Real Tom

Ofcouse not, breakers are rated for the conductor sizes, and the disconnect is rated for the service enterance conductors and panel.

imho,

tom @

The Real Tom

Wrong: cord-and-plug connected devices do not fall under the purview of the NEC, which applies only to premises wiring.

Wrong again. The NEC prohibits connections from relying on solder *only*, but, again, the NEC does not apply to cord-and-plug connected devices. And there's no reason not to use solder with AC.

Doug Miller

But the the breakers in this "panel" are not qualified for branch circuit protection, so it doesn't qualify as a subpanel by any stretch of the imagination, and if it were wired permanently to a breaker larger than 20A would violate the NEC. Depending on its construction, it may or may not be legal if permanently wired to a 20A circuit. The safest bet is to use it as a good rugged power strip.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

OK-my 1999 copy says there must be a mechanically and electrically secure joint before soldering...

Reply to
Rick

Exactly the point I was trying to make...

Reply to
Rick

And IMHO, your first example is a "soldered connection". Does the 2002 code actually prohibit the use of solder on any connection, or just as the sole means for mechanical and electrical connection?

Reply to
Rick

Well, outlets are not branch circuits either.

You may well be right, but I am curious just what provision of NECit would violate.

It can be wired to a 20A 220V circuit (3 strips on one leg and 3 on another), is that correct?

Ignoramus15841

But those 20A receps must be protected by 20A overcurrent protection and the CBs in your panel aren't qualified for branch circuit overcurrent protection.

NEC's definition of "Branch Circuit": "Branch Circuit. The circuit conductors between the final overcurrent device protecting the circuit and the outlet (s)."

For starters:

"240-3. Protection of Conductors Conductors, other than flexible cords and fixture wires, shall be protected against overcurrent in accordance with their ampacities as specified in Section 310-15, unless otherwise permitted or required in (a) through (g)."

See 210-24 for requirements for protection of receps.

Possibly, if the materials and construction of the panel are suitable.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Huh???

I don't understand what the purpose of this quote is. It does not relate to what you typed immediately above it.

Again - why post this quoted text? The branch circuit is protected in the panel.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I thought that was pretty clear. Do you have a specific question or comment? "Huh???" is pretty vague.

It relates to my use in the previous paragraph of the term "branch circuit", which has a very specific meaning in the NEC.

Not if you were to take the suggestion made in the first post in this thread, and repeated in other posts, to feed the panel from a larger than 20A circuit.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Well, it begs an explanation for a statement that is completely against NEC and the purpose of Circuit Breakers. Of course the breakers in your panel are qualified for branch circuit protection. That is in fact, exactly what they are there for. Obviously, you mean to state something else but the vague nature of the way you have either made statements like the above and the included NEC text without explanation of the point you are trying to make, causes it to be difficult for others to understand what you are saying. I can't argue with a lot of what you're trying to say, because I can't understand what you're trying to say. There's one thought that is occurring to me and that is that you are using the word "panel" to refer to the unit being sold by the OP that started this whole thread as opposed to the breaker panel in the house. Throughout this thread we have used the word panel to refer to the later. If my guess is true then I do understand what you are trying to say and in fact I agree. But, that's a guess and if my guess is wrong then there's something very wrong in what you are saying.

It would have been a lot more beneficial to explain yourself briefly instead of a reply like this which is really quite obtuse. Clearly at least one person here is not getting the point your are trying to get across and this response does nothing to clear that up.

Ok... but again, simply quoting NEC without an explanation of why you are quoting it - an explanation of your objection which uses the NEC as validation, does nothing to further a conversation, or (if it is your intent) the understanding of the poster in error.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

stretch

Any reason this device couldn't be wired to a 30A electric clothes dryer pigtail and plugged into a 240V dryer receptacle, to provide

120V, 60A total to downstream devices? The receptacle would have to be all 4 proper conductors of course: 2 hots, neutral, and ground.

The individual 12 ga conductors on the device are protected by the onboard 20A breakers. If the breakers are not qualified for branch circuit protection, what are they qualified for, and would that be sufficient for a non-permanent (i.e. plugged-in) device?

%mod%

Reply to
modervador

That should be fine. That might even be what Ned was suggesting.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob