Framing a table top?

Ok, is it possible to frame a table top (say 22x46 in) with a different species of wood? What about wood movement? Is veneering the only way to go?

Take a look at a David Marks' creation

this top isn't as large as I would like to make, so maybe wood movement isn't as large of an issue... HELP!

Reply to
Larry Bud

I'm currently making a framed table. The center is veneer over MDF since the MDF has no movement. The table will be edged with mahogany. Biscuits on the joint edges and splines on the long sides between the center and the framing. The center will be about 12 x 48.

Reply to
Dustmaker

It's possible to limit the problem of differing movement by using certain attachment methods such as dovetail cleats, or elongated mortices. Using glue and/or pins judiciously, you can allow for quite a bit of movement. Check out some "breadboard" joinery methods. Tom >Subject: Framing a table top?

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom