Frame Saw blades

Hi,

I ordered a frame saw kit that comes with 4 blades (700 mm long blade) from Woodcraft about two months ago. Only $10 dollars more for the kit with the saw then buying only the four blades. They have been on backorder ever since and will be for at least another month. I'll cancel my order if I can find another source. Who else supplies frame saws and blades?

Thanks, Peter

Reply to
petermichaux

Garrett Wade and Highland Hardware both carry frames and blades. Making your own bowsaw is not very difficult, however. DAGS on "bow saw plans".

Reply to
Dukester

I've gotten 28" frame saw blades from Woodcraft, too. I've gotten 28" and

12" blades from HH. The HH blades were dull when I got them, and the WC blades weren't all that sharp either. It didn't take long to get them sharp.

OP: If you build a large frame (bow) saw, I found that 1/8" cable worked for tensioning; smaller cable snapped when I torqued the winding stick. Para cord snapped, too. If you want linen cord for a smaller saw, try local craft stores. I found some at JoAnn Fabrics. I use a bootlace for mine, though.

DAGS for "bugsaw", you'll find some useful plans.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

On 1 Mar 2005 22:01:43 -0800, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spake:

As the resident expert on bowsaurs here (having completed precisely

0.5 saws in the last decade) I can answer your question.

Answer: Make your own, like I (almost) did!

1) Buy a cheap bandsaw blade, cut it to length, and use your hand punch (You DO have a little Roper Whitney Jr. punch in your shop, don't you?) to make holes in the ends. 2)Rip some wood to the size you want your saw to be and shape the pieces to look something like a saw. I used Teak. Don't forget to make a piece to wind the tensioner. 3) Turn some handles (and drill lag holes) on your lathe. 4) Drill clearance holes in the uprights, run lag screws through the ends, and into the handles. 5) Use a hacksaw to cut off the heads of the lag screws. Drill halfway through and pin them with roll pins to hold the blade. 6) Finish all the wood with Waterlox, let dry, assemble, and Bob's yer uncle!

Time estimate: (From me? Hah, you've got to be kidding!)

Sourcing: Harbor Freight for roll pins, cheap blades, and clone punches. Hardware store for lags and nylon cord (tensioner). Scrap or good wood bins for wood.

-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 1 Mar 2005 22:01:43 -0800, the inscrutable snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spake:

Oops, I forgot to give you a pic to use for shaping.

(plans available)
Images for more.