Frame for Home Theater Screen

Hello Fellow Woodworkers, I need some input here. I need to build a face frame for a ceiling-recessed home theater screen that I installed.

http://65.31.50.236/ht/images/screen1.jpgThe metal box is ~ 1/2" above the Sheetrock. The trim would likely be 1x4 Red Oak with a 1/2" Strip glued/nailed to the inside edges of the frame to make up the 1/2" difference. Would pocket screws make sense for this application?

One other thing, I would like to be able to remove the frame in case I need to service the screen's electrical components. So I was thinking of assembling the frame and attaching it with Brass Screws.

Any ideas here?

Thanks in Advance,

-a12vman

Reply to
a12vman

On Thu, 12 May 2005 12:03:16 GMT, the inscrutable "a12vman" spake:

Sure, face frames are the main domain of pocket screws.

That or countersunk screws with either buttons or plugs, depending upon the amount of hardware you wish to see when the screen is up.

------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there. -

Website Application Programming -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Buttons or plugs are often not easily removable. Countersunk brass seems like a good idea.

You know about the trick of cutting the threads in the oak, by first running in a high quality steel screw of the same size, right? Because, I learned to my chagrin, that brass has been known to snap under torque, even if lubed with wax.

Or you could do the pocket screws from behind, perhaps, where they won't show?

Enjoy the game.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Brass'll strip easily, too - be careful, don't just put the screwgun in there and mash the gas. You might consider brass screw cups under the screws for a jazzier look. They're these little washer-like deals that conform to the shape of the underside of the screw head. They both frame the screw nicely and prevent wear. They're a bit of trouble to set accurately, but they look quite nice.

Reply to
Tim and Steph