Food safe sealer for raised beds

Just got some cedar raised beds for vegetable garden. The cedar is not finished. I want to preserve the cedar and not have it go "silver", so looking around for a food safe UV sealer.

Several options showed up when I did a Google search: mineral spirits, shellac, etc. (a number of products).

I'm thinking of doing a shellac with a paraffin wax top on the inside of the bed and then a UV stain on the the outside.

Anyone got some other options or thoughts on this?

MJ

Reply to
MJ

FWIW Mineral Spirits is simply a product thinner and absolutely does not provide protection.

Regardless of what you use short of an exterior paint the wood is going to eventually fade in color unless you reapply often. Typically clear finishes can last up to 2 years before needing to be reapplied.

Your local paint store is going to be able to give you the best advice and what you can expect.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news:xumdnTZdQt- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Bondaglass G4 clear pond sealer, (which is a moisture cured polyurethane) overcoated while still ever so slightly tacky on the exterior and down to the intended soil line with a UV resistant exterior polyurethane varnish (NOT a low VOC one) to increase its UV resistance.

The G4 itself once fully cured doesn't outgass or leach anything dangerous to delicate fish, so wont contaminate the soil if you wait a week after its fully cured and wash it and the varnish down thouroughly with soap and warm water to remove any surface film. Its not officially food-safe but I'd be quite happy to regularly eat a dressed salad out of a bowl finished with it then washed as described.

If you are in an urban area or within a few hundred yards of a moderately busy through road, contamination from exhaust particulates will be a far bigger concern than anything from a fully cured polyurethane finish.

N.B. G4 is a right b*****d to overcoat successfully if fully cured. Either use a compatible paint/varnish while its still slightly tacky or abrade thouroughly with a medium to coarse grit to mechanically key the surface. *RTFM*

Reply to
Ian Malcolm

Food safe is not necessary. But a food safe UV protectant is to go get some exterior grade latex BASE. The base is clear, and contains the UV inhibitor. It will protect the wood as well or better than other alternatives.

Reply to
woodchucker

Put pond liner inside, making necessary accommodation for drainage, and put whatever you want outside.

Reply to
BenignBodger

MJ wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You don't say how big they are. But regardless --- don't worry bout it (said in my best Eastern accent). Cedar will age and any finish put on will wear off -- you'll end up being a slave to it.

Reply to
sawdustmaker

Soil and wood meet Wood loses even if coated/painted

Masonry's a better choice unless you like the shorter life for wood

Reply to
Electric Comet