Floorboard Gaps Oak

Hi there

I have a problem with some rather large gaps in my floorboards in the lounge. They're Oak, and where they've shrunk the gaps aren't even.

I was thinkn that the best approach would be to un-screw them and strainghten up the boards and then relay them pushed up close together.

My question is does anyone know of any good websites that cover this type of project, and what's the best way to staraighten up the edges of the boards so that they are both straight and parralell.

Many thanks for any help

Martin.

Reply to
Martin Noakes

Wait until summer and they will come back., If you close the gaps now, they may buckle when it expands later. If you air is very dry, use a humidifier.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks Edwin,

These boards have been laid for about 7 years and they were obviously not seasoned and that would account for the shrinkage.

Some gaps are up to 1 inch widemost are about 1/2 an inch!

Cheers

Martin

humidifier.

Reply to
Martin Noakes

And if they are still bad this summer then the only cure is to lift and relay the floor. Been there done that.

T&BP for c>>

And if they are still bad this summer then the only cure is to lift and relay the floor. Been there done that.

Reply to
Will

That is more that seasonal change. If you are going to move them, wait until they are swelled in the humid summer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski