flat bottom forstner bits

Note I never sed, "it can not be done". Also note the U2B video speaks of the problems of drilling metal with the tools shown and even shows the tools binding, stalling, etc.

I might (but, prolly not) try this with my DW portable battery drill motor, with sed clutch mechanism, but definitely not with my Milwaukee

1/2" drill motor w/o clutch mechanism (400rpm). The first time that Milwaukee caught, it'd probably almost break my wrist (BTDT!).

You wanna try it? Be my guest. I'll use a stepped-bit or a drill press, thank you. ;)

As fer "the automotive industry", I've frequented those sound-system chop shops. Their "hole saws" were defeated by my '66 Dodge van dashboard. Perhaps they were using "old school" hole saws.

Yes, I AM "old school". Not all my drill motors are battery pwrd and have clutches. NOT all my pwr tools are StopSaws or Festools. Funny that a hobby like woodworking, which so highly prizes "old school" hand craftmanship, takes me to task fer not having the newest technology. That's OK. I unnerstan. ;)

BTW, my 1/4" paring chisel finally arrived. Yay!

nb

Reply to
notbob

Please refrain from snipping relevant material from posts when replying.

I will repeat what you said once again so that you can see why you are are wrong:

"Using a hole saw to make a doorknob hole ina door. I see yer point about using the hole saw in wood. Never happen in metal. "

Note your use of the words "Never happen in metal."

That is the first place you where you are wrong. As stated by me, and as has been backed up by others, using a hole saw in a hand held drill in metal is commonplace.

You were wrong to use the word "never".

I never said the drill press can't be brought to the work but s "The only "fact" we can state is that not everything can be brought to a drill press. Some work must be done on site regardless of whether it's wood, metal, glass, plastic, whatever."

It is an undeniable fact that not everything can be brought to the drill press. I will now add that the portable drill press cannot be brought to everything. Oh, sure, you can *bring* it, you just can't always *use* it.

Leon has already given one example of a situation where a portable drill press...

1 - Will not work 2 - Is not needed

I could list so many more situations where that is the case.

That's a lame example.

We can all find examples of situations where a hole saw in a hand held drill is not going to work. Those situations are not limited to metal, there are also situations where a hole saw in a hand held drill will not work in wood, plastic, glass, whatever. Who cares?

The fact is, your use of the words "*Never* in metal" are flat out wrong.

You said "Never in metal". I'll repeat that, with emphasis "*Never* in metal." *Never*

Are you really going to continue to defend that statement?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"Using a hole saw to make a doorknob hole ina door. I see yer point about using the hole saw in wood. Never happen in metal."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Man - you are one contentious person who is bent on going off on tangents that have nothing to do with comments that have previously been made. Bet you don't really have a lot of friends in life...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Don't waste your time with this guy. He's just a contentious person who is bent on proving everyone else wrong in life. Let the idiot just go away.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yeah, I suck. 8|

But! ....I have faith that all you perfect people will set me straight and will eventually mold me into the exact person you want me to be. I'll jes sit here in the corner and think precisely what you instruct me to think.

Jinkies! We having fun, yet? ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Sheeese, I'm not going to nitpick such things, but I agree with notbob, I'm not using a big hole saw in metal with that 1/2" drill of his. Well, not a second time. I've used a drill like that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Nobody perfect here, but dude - just take a look at yourself and the way you interact here. Says it all.

Apparently you are...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks, Ed.

Ya' know I'm usually not this "contentious" (Mike's words). OTOH, I'm not gonna jes lie down and act like I know nothing! I didn't get my experience from FWW magazine. I got it from actually doing it! Working ina machine shop in one of our country's most reknown govt labs. And I'm not adverse to admitting I'm wrong. I've already done it. Here! But, I'll be damned if I'll pretend I'm wrong jes cuz someone sez I am.

With respect to woodworking cabinetry, I pretty much am clueless. Admittedly! That's not to say I know nada! I put in a year as an apprentice carpenter. I've got my late brother's tools and a few more I've picked up, over the yrs. Now, I'm learning cabinetry cuz I have to. I inherited my mom's home and the kitchen is falling apart and I gotta fix it. I may not be a master woodworker, but I'm far from a being a total neophyte. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Look guy - I'm not saying you have nothing to offer or that your questions are silly. I think a guy like you actually does have a lot to offer just like a guy like me has things to offer that may even be off to the side of actual woodworking. You seem to very knowledgeable in certain areas and I think that knowledge can be of great value to a group like this which is wider reaching than just woodworking. Believe it or not (your choice), I actually do genuinely respect the kind of knowledge a guy like you brings.

For me - it's all about the delivery. Most here would tell you that my delivery can be a bit on the harsh side from time to time, so that may sound a little ironic coming from me.

Tell you what - I'm willing to bury the hatchet and start from the beginning, if you are. Chock it up to just the way shit flows sometimes, and put it behind us.

Does that work for you?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Like WD40! (jes kidding)

I'll try and ameliorate my delivery, too. No more "anal" remarks

--which I'm sure didn't thrill the true WW masters in this group-- and I'll try and never say "never", again.

We're good ....and thank you for the peace offering. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Same here...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Good to go brother. Thanks for your cooperation. I've had to go through my share of ameliorating my comments over time in this group. There are many here who could attest to that.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Darnist thing I saw was a Satellite tech do is drill through a metal building with a high speed flat drill used for wood. I thought I'd see metal snagging easy. Cut nice. I figure a toothed Forstner drill instead.

Mart> >>> >>>> Things like forstner bits and hole saws should NOT be used with a hand

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Just stop. Stop digging the hole. It's embarrassing. I've drilled hundreds, yes, hundreds of holes that size and larger with a handheld battery and corded drills with holes saws. That thing you showed is antiquated.

Sit back and learn from those with experience. Not googlectuals.

Peanut gallery. Wow.

Sheesh.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Same here

... and welcome to the forum notbob.

LOL ... we love you anyway, Mike, even if you do talk funny. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Thank you, Swingman.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Considering they sell Bimetal holes saws for making holes is see his problem, but do not think notbob will.

Reply to
Markem

Air drill is the solution for metal less torque when it bites and stops, I have done through steel up to a 1/4 inch with bimetal hole saws, used a lot of WD40. You do what you need to do to do the job with what you have.

Reply to
Markem