Fixing runout problems in a drillpress - sufficient to replace bearings?

I have a 1993 King drill press (model KC-16BP). Pretty generic floor model. It has pretty severe vibration and runout problems and I'd like to refurbish it. I haven't yet taken it apart but I'd like to know what I'm looking for before I do. I don't have the exploded parts diagram and doubt that it is readily available. (King Canada certainly doesn't have it anymore.)

I'm looking for trouble-shooting tips. I've read an excellent article written by Grant Erwin at

I'm going to start by following his suggestions.

In the meantime, if any of you have pointers for me, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

- is replacing the bearings likely to fix the problem? - what about replacing the chuck? Do chucks wear out? - what repairs have you made to your drill press? - did it work? - was it worth the time and money? - how likely is it that the machine is a write-off?

Thanks for your help

Reply to
Keith Hanlan

I've got a 14" Delta drill press that dates from the 1940s or 1950s. Have made a few parts for it over the years as well as a few parts. It's in pretty decent shape. Have swapped spindles, replaced chucks, switched pullies, etc.

Vibration can be from a number of things: bad belts, worn out bearings, bent spindles, broken or bent pullies, etc.

Runout is simpler: it's either the chuck, the spindle, or the bearings. Or the mounting of the chuck on the spindle. Chuck a heavy rod in the chuck and try to pull it in various directions. If it moves, and if you can hear the bearings knocking, it's the bearings. If not, pull the chuck off (it should be mounted on a taper, and you can get wedges from the machinists' suppliers to remove it). Check the taper with a dial indicator. If there is runout, the spindle is bent. If not, clean up the mating surfaces and re-mount the chuck. Or a better one, if you wish. I use an Albrecht keyless, but they are pretty dear new. Test it again. You may find the runout gone. If it is the bearings, they are pretty standard and any bearing house should be able to match them up. Unless it is a 60 year old Delta....

After you've fixed the runout, you may find the vibration gone. If not, and the pullies look to be decent, I'd try a new belt.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957