Finishing question: sticky varnish

Hello, I have run into a finishing problem and am seeking the group's advice.

I am restoring an old stereo cabinet and on the doors I have glued alternating strips of bookmarked veneer. The veneer in use is mainly ash with 2 strips of 1 inch wide cocobolo for contrast.

I am using real varnish (not varathane) for the finish. The first coat I put on was from an old can and was thinned slightly with turpentine. The second coat was from a fresh can and not thinned.

Here is my problem: while the ash is drying fine, the cocobolo is still quite sticky, and it has remained so for a week. I know that cocobolo is significantly denser than ash, but IMO over a week to dry is excessive.

Any suggestions?

The doors are currently sitting inside a heated cabinet (heated by a 100 watt light bulb inside) in the hopes of accelerating the drying process.

Dean Hummel

Reply to
Dean Hummel

I'm not sure what your definition of "real varnish" is but from the problem you're having I suspect it is tung oil based. If this be the case, on the ash, the oil is being absorbed. Cocobolo is naturally oily and won't absorb much of the tung oil. Tung oil can take weeks to polymerize, especially when applied to wood like cocobolo.

Tung oil cures by reacting with oxygen. Once the solvent carriers have dried off, the heat from the light bulb will have no effect. It will just take time to cure.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

it may or may not dry on the cocobolo. but really you would be better off removing the finish and sealing the cocobolo with shellac. it would save you a lot of grief.

Reply to
Steve Knight