Finishing maple to match flooring

I know very little about wood finishing, so I am turning to this group for some help. There is a fairly bewildering array of products out there.

I am installing pre-finished natural maple hardwood (Lauzon select & better maple) flooring. I'd like to install some flush-mount wood registers from All-American Wood Register Co. Of course they come unfinished...

Does anybody have any recommendation on how best to finish these wood registers to match the flooring as closely as possible?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
GigaNews

The easiest way is to ask the flooring dealer. The supplier may sell the matching stain.

If not, you buy an array of stains that are close and try them on scrap pieces of the same wood as the registers. If the registers are made from a different wood than the floor, there may be some color difference anyway. There will be a difference if you use a pre-treatment also. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:SSxLc.15243$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdny03.gnilink.net:

And a little contrast might make a nice design element also. Just don't paint them.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in

Theres a classic case of not reading the question properly. He said its natural, no stain. The only thing he needs to know is whether the finish is water base or oil, or if they used an oil sealer under water base polyurethane.

POSTER: Call your dealer or look on the manufacters website and find out which it is. Water base leaves maple much lighter/whiter than oil base. If they don't offer the finish, you can then go to any hardware store and buy most any water or oil polyurethane and they will match color. Try to get a finish formulated for floors. Apply 4-5 coats with a $.79 brush. Its not that difficult.

tweaked

Yes, that is what he said, it is unfinished. It is also a different wood. . He wants to match the maple. To do that, the unknown wood may have to be stained.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Actually, they are both Maple, but I wasn't super-clear on that point.

Thanks to ALL of you for your help.

Reply to
GigaNews