Finish question on wood pens

I will be turning a box elder pen and pencil set for a friend shortly, and he asked about using a polyurethane or polycrylic finish on it to protect the finished set from finger oils and such.

I've never done that before on wood pens - any thoughts or comments on the idea? Other suggestions?

I normally use EEE-Ultra Shine and Shellawax Cream for my wood pens.

TIA

Matt

Reply to
Matt

A very protective finish is Super Glue on a rag applied to the spinning wood. Polish out with very fine grit pads.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, this comes out very nice. I use the gel glue so as to reduce splatter. Sucks when you glue your eyelids shut...

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

Even worst when the eyeball sticks in the socket and won't rotate. WW

Reply to
WW

Sucks when you glue your eyelids shut...

No sweat, Jim. Just soak your face in acetone! (Tearing up just thinking about it...)

-- With every experience, you alone are painting your own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice. -- Oprah Winfrey

Reply to
Larry Jaques