Finish for Teak

I am building a fairly simple cornice using teak plywood. I've never used teak before, but I am aware that it is quite oily, and am wondering whether a simple Danish oil would work (or teak oil - and yes, I am aware that teak oil has nothing to do with teak). Also, will I need to wipe it down with mineral spirits of lacquer thinner or something before applying the finish?

I built a jewely box out of Jatoba a while back, and had >serious< trouble with getting Arm-R-Seal to dry. Ended up sanding it off and spraying lacquer. I would really like to do something simple with this - it's a simple project.

Thanks to all!

Reply to
Jon

Use any finish you like, no special prep needed.

Reply to
dadiOH

I do the Teak bright work on our boat and after I sand I wipe it with Acetone then apply the finish. I haven't had any problems yet. Jim

Reply to
James

It's plywood. There's not much in the way of oil in something that's

1/32", or less, thick. No need to wipe it down prior to applying Danish oil.

Watco is probably the most familiar name in Danish oil, but there are other manufacturer's that make good products.

RicodJour

products.http://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/Vs.htm>> R

Thanks everyone! Jon

Reply to