Festool Rotex 125

Is this sander a random orbit or strictly an orbital sander? I can see where an *orbital* sander would be more aggressive than an ROS.

Max (still pondering)

Reply to
Max

Depends... :)

There are two "125" models/ the EQ is ROS; the FEQ is the dual-mode (but almost $400 for the privilege, however)

It's the latter that is the one that's supposed to be so aggressive altho I've not seen one in action.

--

Reply to
dpb

It is BOTH!

In the more agressive orbital mode it "will" keep up with a belt sander with same grit paper. Additionally it sets flat and is easy to controll compared to the typical orbital sander. Flip a switch and it converts to random orbit.

With a vac connected the paper lasts longer and does not clog as easily.

have had one for about 2 years now and consider it a bargain considering the fact that it is a multi-function sander and leaves little to no dust when attached to a vac and or my Festool vac.

Reply to
Leon

Actually he was asking about the "Rotex" 125, there is only one of those and then there is the bigger Rotex 150.

It can be very agressive or not.

Reply to
Leon

Well, since he asked, it wasn't clear to me that there wasn't confusion; hence the specifics of pointing it out since Festool has the two w/ the

125...when there isn't anywhere close if one hasn't been to a Rockler or somewhere and seen stuff it isn't all that easy to confuse imo...I wouldn't have known it if hadn't wondered what was the big $$$ difference between the two when wondering thru a Rockler outlet w/ Festool display last time in Wichita some months back.

Anyway, didn't figure could possibly hurt to point it out.

--

Reply to
dpb

> I have had one for about 2 years now and consider it a bargain considering

Excellent, Leon. Now I can see why it would do the job of a belt sander. I thought the 125 (or 150) was just a fancy ROS. I'm sold. Thanks.

Max

Reply to
Max

Hell, I own one, still get confused, and have to look at which one it is ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

>>> I have had one for about 2 years now and consider it a bargain

Your welcome Max... FIY I replaced a 5" PC right angle ROS that I used for about 18 years with the 125 Rotex, 5" also. I have never wanted or wondered waht I would be missing using the larger

150, 6" Rotex. Plus, the 125 is considerabley less expensice than the 150 as are the sanding disks.
Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

Are the Festool sanding discs the only ones you can use?

Max

Reply to
Max

I believe that there are other brands out there that will "work". BUT Swingman and I installed a kitchen last simmer in one of the homes that he built and I did the sanding of the cabinets afterwards. I believe on the entire set of cabinets face frames I used 3, 120, 150, and 180 disks on the Rotex. That is about 9 disks total. I gave it all another final finish sanding with 180 with the RTS400EQ orbital sander. That sander has a smaller pad and gets into "square" corners. I think I used 1 may be 2 sheets on that pass.

Basically what I am saying here is that the Festool paper is pretty high quality and lasts a long time when used with a vac. I do not consider it expensive considering the fact that I have not yet purchased a replacement box of paper for any of the original grits that I purchased for either sander. However I am getting ready to purchase some more in the near future.

Up to the 180 grit I use the Rubin style Festool paper.

I have completely sanded 2 sets of kitchen cabinets, my bed room project, and numerous smaller projects with my original 50 pack boxes of sand paper.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

I hear you. It would likely be poor economics to use a quality sander and then skimp on the paper. Thanks again.

Max

Reply to
Max

For many years I have always said that being "brand loyal" is not the consumers best bet for getting the best value but this Festool stuff is the closest I have ever been to brand loyal. Like you I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a Festool tracksaw, that will be my 5th Festool tool with a tail. I have not yet been disappointed with any Festool products although I seriously doubt I will ever give their jig saw or other sanders a place in my shop, I believe that I am already set in those categories. Heaven help me if Festool ever comes out with a step up from a cabinet TS. ;~) The Kapex is really really cool but I already have a 12" Delta CMS that I hardly use after getting a cabinet saw about 10 years ago. The Festool tracksaw will probably be the final nail in the coffin for the miter saw for "on location" jobs. My jointer is on it's way out too. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Nice drive-by, Swing.

jc