sanders

Which is best, an orbital sander or a belt sander?

Bill

Reply to
wrightsaerials

Depends; what are you hoping to sand?

Reply to
Andrew_C

What would you like to sand, Bill?

I have both and there are some tasks that only one will do and others that either will do.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Neither. Lots of good quality sandpaper and a sanding block or two.

Orbital sanders don't do anything, belt sanders do too much, and in an uncontrolled manner. Doing it by hand is better and faster.

If you _must_ have powered sanding, get a good air-powered random orbital sander (and the huge compressor to drie it).

In extremis, a Bosch PEX400 isn't bad.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Random orbital sander to avoid scratches.

Reply to
John

Belt will remove material more quickly, but this may result in making it harder to get an even finish. There is also more chance of scoring the work.

Orbital will sand more slowly and give a better finish. Can be a tad less comfortable you sue for extended periods due to extra vibration.

Random orbit is good in that it can do good finish and fast. The Bosch PEX400 someone else mentioned is a good starter.

Reply to
John Rumm

Makita 9401 is the joinery and furniture making standard. It's a belt machine and just about indespensable. Put an oak table top under a 9401 with 180 grit belt on it and it's hard to beat the finish. Where you get cross grain, for example where a rail meets a stile, then an orbital sander is used prior to hand finishing.

Another benefit of the 9401 is that it can be upturned with a bench stand that comes in the box. Very handy facility which, sadly, has not been incorporated into the newer 9403 (which is supposed to replace the 9401).

Cheers

Nicholas

Reply to
Nicholas

Sand it by hand? :-(

Took me long enough to do 90 odd of these with my Bosch PEX400 as it is... :-P

fenceslats01.jpg

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Having purchased a Random Orbit Sander some time ago, I now wouldn't use anything else.

Orbital are really only good for finishing, belt sanders are nasty aggressive things in some circumstances.

Random Orbit Sander with 40 grit paper removes stock like a belt sander, but with complete control and you can right through the grades up to 240 grit for fine finish.

Andy Hall will tell you you have to pay at least =A3300 for one. Axminster have an own label for =A335 which is superb!

Dave

Reply to
Magician

Actually no.... I'd recommend the Metabo SXE450 duo

costs around £140

It is not the most expensive random orbit sander on the market, but comes out consistently well in reviews in Europe and north America.

It's a pleasure to use, has very little transmission of vibration to the user and can therefore be used for long periods.

Reply to
Andy Hall