Exterior Kid's workbench

I volunteered to builkd a workbench for my 4-year old's pre-k class. The teacher's want to leave it outside, on a covered deck. We're in Chicago. The ceiling is pretty high, so I expect it will get rained and/or snowed upon. The teacher expects no more than two or three kids ( 3-5 years old) to use it at once.

Because it'll be left outside, and not be moved it could be too heavy to carry. It doesn't need a vise, it's really only for the kids to pound on. I'll probably supply some small wooden mallets, or other similiar pounding instraments.

Any ideas as to good material for the bench would be appreciated. I think a redwood, cedar or even steel base would be fine, but it's the top that I'd like some help with. It should remain passibly flat, resist splintering and be generally impervious to weather.

Thanks,

Alan

Reply to
sadler

Maybe that decking composite material? Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

If you are going to decking material, why not ipe??

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I've never used ipe, but I was thinking about it. I hear it's hard to cut and work with, but very durable and weather resistant. Since it's board stock, should I figure out how to bolt it together for the base as well? Is it dimensionally stable enough to use as the base?

Reply to
sadler

Look into West System epoxy--- it is heavily used in boat building. A pine bench built with West System glues and surfaced with the coating epoxy will last outdoors for centuries.

Reply to
ash_lee