Estate planning for woodworkers

Has anyone solved the problem of what to do with equipment and supplies upo n death? The wife and I are going over our wills,etc. and this has come up. I don't have any children and none of my siblings are interested in woodwo rking. I was thinking of leaving my stuff to one of the local HS woodshops. But I also was wondering if there was a non-profit that would aid students to get scholarships at some of the woodworking schools (College of the Red woods, North Bennett, etc.). Did anyone find anything like that?
Thanks,
MJ

If you don't find anybody who wants it, at least write down the correct name for each item so that if it ends up on craingslist it'll at least be labelled properly.
[There seem to be people who think that any saw that has any sort of table, or sits on a bench/table is a "table saw".]
--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I had pancake makeup
at for brunch!
On 07/29/2014 10:27 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:

Be sure to include approximate current value as well. It's a good bet your widow won't have a clue, unless she's also a woodworker.
...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
"MJ" wrote in message

My woodworking club (about 900 members as I recall) occasionally receives estate items ranging from a few tools, to buildings full of wood, to whole shops. We're a 501(c)3 so there are tax advantages for the estate if they need them. In regards to the tools, if they can be used in our shops they are kept. Everything else is surplused (auctioned) with the monies used to support our programs. Wood is generally auctioned though in some cases it goes towards community service projects.
We regularly receive lists of estate tools for sale from deceased member's families and non-members who were directed to us. In those cases the estate conducts its own transactions with the club member buyers.
Another option might be to talk with your local Boy Scout Council, another 501(c)3. There may be a need for tools there and they could sell the remainder off to fund their programs or cover capital expenses.
John

If there are lots of antique hand tools, call someone like Pete Niederberger on the west coast, or Patrick Leach on the east coast.
Scott
On 7/29/2014 1:12 PM, MJ wrote:

I would just not worry with it, a wood worker will end up with it one way or another. If you go before your wife, GARAGE SALE.
I have created a list of the major stuff in my shop with the minimum price my wife should accept for each, assuming neither of my kids wants the stuff. The risk in this, of course, is that she may sell out my shop to get her car back in the garage.
Larry
typed in rec.woodworking the following: Has anyone solved the problem of what to do with equipment and

    I dunno about you, but "my plan" is to have the wife contact Carlin, and he gets first pick and any profit from the sale of the rest.
--
pyotr filipivich
Follow Gramp's shop advice above. And contact Habitat for Humanity or other organizations that do good services in the construction world. They would likely be able to put the tools to use.
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 9:31:43 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Don't forget Makerspace.
On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at 11:12:29 AM UTC-7, MJ wrote: But I also was wondering if there was a non-profit that would aid students to get scholarships at some of the woodworking schools (College of the Red woods, North Bennett, etc.). Did anyone find anything like that?

MJ,
Seriously, I would direct my attorney (if you have one) to state in your tr ust or will, that there be a separate sale for your tools and wood and dire ct all proceeds to some worthy institution. Unless you live near one of the woodworking schools, I would doubt that you'd have much luck passing the t ools along to students. I happen to know that many Krenov School students ( College of the Redwoods has changed its name, the are no longer part of the College of the Redwoods) usually have a full set of tools available to the m (other than personal tools they bring to class). Many graduates do NOT go into woodworking as a profession afterwards and those that do probably hav e tools or get them close to where they live in the country.
For our woodworking club, I would get many a request from widows to see if there was anyone interested in their dear husbands tool collection. Many a time, it was low end Craftsman or HF stuff. The only thing of usual value w ould be the wood. I would direct the family to make an inventory of what th ey wanted to sell and direct that list to me so that I could post it to our members and let them handle it.
Contrary to popular belief, there are high schools that still offer woodwor king classes, we have over 12 in our county in Northern California. Not all do "fine" woodworking but it's still cutting and pasting wood elements int o something. Also keep your tools in tip/top condition. That was the other thing I saw aplenty. The tools that the wife thought were expensive would b e worn out, missing elements or worse rusted.
If there is no local HS or college program nearby, perhaps search around in your state, got to be something within a 1 or 2 hour drive.
Good luck. I'm in the same situation - no heirs - and I'm contemplating to leave everything to our local ww club and let them paw over things and figu re out an equitable distribution of funds or tools to members.
MJW