Epoxy Coating for Bar Counter Top

I am about to coat my new bar counter top with a clear epoxy in order to give it the restaurant bar look. I have done alot of reading and am trying to figure out which product to use.

I have bought some of the System 3 Mirror Coat from a local woodworking story and it is quite expensive. After doing some reading in this group I have learned about the other products that are out there. Some of which you can buy from stores like Michaels for much less. I believe the product name was Envirotex Lite. Is it worth the extra money for the System 3? If so, why.

This is my first time doing this so any advice on the best way to apply this stuff would be greatly appreciated. From what I understand:

-the first coat you basically brush on to cover the wood and seal any cracks in the molding. Then the later coats can be thicker.

-I am going to make it about 1/4" thick.

-I understand the hardest thing is getting rid of the air bubbles, so I hear that using a torch is the best way to get rid of them.

-Other than than just pour it on and level it out.

Sounds pretty easy, but seriously how hard is it? I know once I start it is hard to go back.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
ericlkoehler

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: > I am about to coat my new bar counter top with a clear epoxy in order > to give it the restaurant bar look. I have done alot of reading and > am trying to figure out which product to use.

System 3 sells good stuff.

I buy their laminating resin in 55 gallon drums.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett