Entertainment Center

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in news:22881d3d-44e2-49d7- snipped-for-privacy@t11g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:

That just doesn't seem like it's enough to be effective. I guess the screws are there until the glue dries, though. I'm used to relying on screws for their mechanical strength and not really trusting glue.

There's a frame, that's why I'm sure the shelves would be strong enough.

That's the reason I had a feeling the 1/2" ply wasn't going to be strong enough! I knew it would work for the load, but wasn't quite sure it'd hold up.

Except for covering the miter detail, that's not a bad idea. With some screws and NO glue, the 1x2s on end could be used as a way to adjust the shelf height. (Gravity would pull down on them, so the screws are only there for alignment.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Take a look at item 213 on the NYW web site to see an entertainment center Norm built.

Along with it are some E/C built by other people which are very interesting.

Might give you some design ideas.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah I guess glue and 3/8" penetration of screws into ply and some glue seems a little weak but I think the engineering math would OK it for 200#. But I might worry about my TV also.

I'm not sure what the front edge detail is on the ply sides. If there is no face frame I just that makes it difficult to hide any structure.

Another, maybe less visible method if there is any way to hid the fr> "SonomaProducts.com" wrote in news:22881d3d-44e2-49d7-

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

"dadiOH" wrote in news:wf7Wl.21$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe17.ams:

Going with 3/4" plywood would be better to hold with any sort of racking that might go on from moving it.

Agreed. That's the idea.

Let me attempt to explain the shelf again: The shelves will be 1/2" red oak plywood on top, with a 1x4 border of red oak surrounding it. There will be a frame under the plywood to support it made of poplar, and attaching to the border of oak. All supports will be oriented so the long side is on edge with respect to the plywood.

I'll probably use the KV clips on the middle shelf. Thanks.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote in news:4a289881$0$32217 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I've uploaded a sketch of the shelf design to a.b.p.w..

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper