elevated dust collector?

Do dust collectors (in this case, the HF 2hp) have the power to suck dust up one floor? My shop space in the basement is extremely tight, and I was thinking that I could put the dust collector outside in the attached shed, run the hose through the basement window. Have the seperator in the basement though to take care of the "big" stuff.

John

Reply to
JohnT.

John,

If you've got a preseparator in the basement, I strongly suspect your 2hp collector would suck whatever is left up 3 floors. IME, the stuff thats left after the preseparator is so light, you won't have any trouble at all.

One thing to keep in mind, though. You'll be removing 1100 cfm of heated (winter) or cooled (summer) air from your house while your collector is running. That air *will* be coming back in your house from the outside through various means. You *will* see an increase in your utility costs.

Joe C.

Reply to
Joe C

I doubt it would work until you get into the 2HP and 1200 cfm range. Jet will tell you if you want a permanent dust system, not just one you wheel from station to station, go with their minimum 1200 cfm model.

Reply to
DarylRos

Daryl,

OP has a 2hp collector. The 1100 cfm I quoted was a rough figure.

Reply to
Joe C

John,

I just finished building a shed outside my basement shop primarily to get the dust collector out of the shop to free up some space. This evening I did a test run and noticed no significant loss due to the 8 foot or so increase in altitude from the basement floor to the shed. My dust collector is the grizzly 1029 (2HP) so it is probably comparable to your model. I did however make some changes to the unit for initial test purposes. First, I increased the main duct from 4" to 6" (a BIG improvement should be gained by this) and have temporarily taken the separator out of the equation until I get a better unit as mine left quite a bit to be desired.

I strongly agree with Joe, though, in that you'll want to put a return duct in. During my test this evening, I could feel a significant amount of air coming out of the shed around the door frame and definitely would *not* want that amount of unheated (or uncooled) air being sucked back into the house. To minimized these effects, I'm thinking of enclosing the unit in a small room inside the shed so that the amount of unconditioned air that is returned to the shop upon initial use of the DC is lessened. Hopefully in the next day or so I'll post some pics to abpw to show what I did.

Let me know if you have any questions about my setup as I put a lot of thought into it beforehand and may have solved some of the problems you are encountering in designing your solution.

Good luck,

Eric

Reply to
Eric Yancey

[...]

Many shops have the DC piping on the ceiling. You are only adding a couple of feet elevation. A 2HP should be able to carry it. Of course there will be some loss, but most DC of that size can easily handle two or three tools simultaneously. Running one tool should be OK.

Keep in mind what Joe C said about removing the heated/cooled air. As you suck it out, other air from outside is going to be drawn in. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

How about putting a micron furnace filter in the window and leaving it open to the attached outbuilding. Much of the air would be allowed to pass back into the basement, after being filtered. This would cut down on the make-up air pulled from other sources. Of course, this would work only if the outbuilding covers the window. A little insulation and weatherstripping wouldn't hurt either...

Just an idea...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

No, actually what you just did was post four copies of the same reply. While I agree with your plans, be aware that it might take a few minutes before your post becomes visible to you. Sometimes it never does. I had a situation a couple of weeks ago where I never saw my post and yet people replied to it. Strange.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Reply to
JGS

John

Just be careful, not only will you be removing up to 1200 cfm from your house but if there is not an ample air return you will probably suck the make up air in thru places like your heater and water chimmney. This could lead to problems such as carbon monoxide poisioning. Be careful and think it through.

The head loss of air moving up one floor is small compared to the duct losses in your piping.

The heat loss assuming a temperature difference of 30 degrees (in vs out) and full flow using gas heat at today's cost would be about 35 cents per hour.

Howard

Reply to
Howard

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. I was suprised to see all those replies this morning when I logged on.

I'm not sure how it happened, the news server I was posting to kept returning errors. It appears as though even though the message never left my outbox the message was actually posted each time I attempted to send.

Sorry for the duplicate posts.

Eric

Reply to
EricY