Electric hand tool recommendations

The power switch is probably the most common part to fail on a tool. The switches on both of my Bosch routers have failed and one did not make it through the first day.

Reply to
Leon

Tom Kendrick

While building a boat, managed to burn up and get rebuilt under warranty every P/C model belt sander except the "Choo-choo" which is no longer available.

These days, I'm fooling around with furniture, the "Choo-Choo" just sets on the shelf collecting dust.

If I need a flat glue-up, head for the drum sanding outfit.

I use a 10 year old, 18VDC, DeWalt panel saw that came with a drill as a kit.

Add x 2x2x1/8x96 aluminum angle and a couple of 3", C-Clamps and I'm good to go.

Cut pieces 1/4" proud and then clean up with a router or table saw as req'd.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The more I thought about this post, the more I thought about the tools I frequently use these days, in no particular order.

A good 10" table saw equipped with a Unifence, a good set of 10" carbide saw blades, and a good dado set.

A jointer.

A bench top planer.

A router kit with both fixed and plunge bases.

A 6" Bosch, ROS (I dream about a Fein 8").

A Fein detail sander with all the goodies.

A Bosch jig saw.

A 1,500 watt heat gun.

A battery operated panel saw.

A battery operated drill.

A 1/2", right angle, 2 speed, corded drill to handle that collection of hole saws.

Probably the biggest investment is the collection of cutting tools required for those power tools.

After that, it is clamps, clamps and more clamps.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Using the standard cut alignment mark on the sawplate, the position of the kerf in relation to that mark would indicate what side of the plate is supposed to be on the keeper piece. Assuming that a left blade saw is a mirror image of a right blade saw, I would have to get used to it as I would constantly be cutting to the wrong side of the line. I do prefer the right blade saw a it feels natural (as that is all I have used) and it forces me to keep my hand away from the blade. Can't get to close due to the motor.

> Unfortunately this link does not seem to work as a short cut but if you log

> Going farther, the side winder right blade manual clearly issustrates that

Reply to
CW

Exactly, that too.

Actually all instruction manuals demonstrate that the circle saw should be used with 2 hands, one on each handle. This becomes awkward if a right handed person uses a left side saw and visa versa.

Reply to
Leon

Got that although the saw is currently in pieces thanks to Katrina.

Got one, see above comment

Got one

Got one

Have a PC right angle ROS which I like a lot and a PC square pad ROS to finish with.

H'mmm interesting. My experience with detail sanders was with a Ryobi POS and it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth regarding detail sanders. I felt guilty selling it for $5 at a garage sale.

Getting one ;>

I'm at a loss to understand the usage of this in woodworking.

I've got an anathema regarding battery powered saws. As indicated, I want to replace my current Skil 7 1/4" circular saw with something a little less, "flimsy".

Got one

I can see the utility. Kind of pricey for very limited usage though.

Indeed

Got those!

cheers,

=========================================================================== Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

|| A Fein detail sander with all the goodies. | | H'mmm interesting. My experience with detail sanders was with a | Ryobi POS and it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth regarding | detail sanders. I felt guilty selling it for $5 at a garage sale.

Lew offered good advice. It'd be worth the time and trouble to find someone local who'll let you try theirs. This isn't a low-budget item; but is almost certain to change your opinion of detail sanders!

Morris Dovey

Fein is a different world.

If you ever need to break a TiteBond II joint or lift a piece of plastic laminate, a heat gun is essential.

I wasn't excited about mine when I got it as part of a kit, but the little bugger surprised me.

Works very well for sheet goods.

Agreed. Got mine as part of a barter.

You never have too many clamps.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Leon"

You obviously spent a great deal of time looking up this data. However, if you ask anyone who uses a worm drive (by default, left blade) saw, they will tell you it is a great tool. I have made hundreds of thousands of cuts with one and I have never felt like my arms were criss-crossed. 99% of the time, I am holding the workpiece with my left hand and cutting with the right. The action is the same as hand sawing only with a powered saw. I see the line, I hold the work and that nonsense about the weight of the saw only supported by thin side is just that nonsense. If a builder can not hold the saw up, he should not be using it anyway.

The other advantage to the worm drive is it length. I can cross-cut a 4'x8' piece (in the middle) of plywood in one push. The other thing I have found interesting is West coast framers overwhelmingly prefer the worm drive saw. However, East coasters like the sidewinders. Since Texas is in the middle, maybe that's the source of confusion :)

I emailed both Milwaukee (I don't take credit for their grammar) and Porter Cable, their responses are below. Neither say one is for left handed or right handed people.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

"CW"

Nonsense, I have taught teenaged girls (house building in Mexico) to use the wormdrive. They have no problem with it, In fact, after using it for hours of cutting, the biggest problem they have is the boys coming over and wanting to do the cutting for them.

The hardest part of teaching people to use the saw is keeping people from holding the fall-off piece.

Dave

Teamcasa

Dave I am not saying that people are not using the saw the same way that you do. I agree that probably most people hold the left blade worm dirive with their right hand.

Well nothing you ask a rep is binding and they will always refer you to the owners manual if there is a possibility of litigation concerning an injury. I recall the first time I saw the PC left blade at a ww show. The reps were selling them that they were intended for left handed users. The owners manuals indicate this also. Regardless of whether a person uses the saw correctly or not the owners manual is the final say.

Reply to
Leon

Having never used a worm drive with left blade arrangement or any left hand saw, with which hand do you hold the keeper end of a board when holding the saw with your right hand? Seems to me it would be the left hand but that hand would have to be on the opposite side of the saw if done correctly. Otherwise you have to rest the saw on the scrap fall away side and that is not a safe scenario?

The fact that you mention the hardest part is teach the people to not hold the fall off piece seems to indicate that the setup for the cut is wrong to start with. If you hold the left hand saw with your left hand this pretty much becomes a moot point. Same goes with the right blade for right handers. If the blade is not situated between your two hands, you are as tempted to grab that waste piece as it falls away.

Taking line of site out of the equation, it makes more sense to me for safety reasons to use the left in your left hand and your right in your right hand.

Reply to
Leon

The typical method is to hold/secure the longest end of the board being cut, regardless of the keep piece, with your left hand - use your right hand to guide the saw, cut the side of the line that protects the measurement of the keep piece - let the short piece fall free.

Below are a few examples of people using the saw.

Teamcasa

Agreed.

Reply to
Teamcasa

I, for one, can see why the guys wanted the girls to cut their boards for them!!! Need any help down there???

Reply to
Tim Taylor

We always can use an extra hand!

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Don't think of it as a "detail sander". Fein calls it a "multimaster" and it does many things other than detail sanding. Among other things it can saw flush to a surface and get into places that are inaccessible with a jigsaw or circular saw.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

*snip*

*snip*

You quoted the guy's whole post to say just this? Please trim the reply to what you're replying to exactly, or summarize.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Reply to