Early First Impressions of Craftsman Professional Table Saw

Excecpt for the outfeed table, it's together...

I don't know what it is they use at that factory to serve as ersatz cosmoline, but it works and it's great that WD 40 dissolves it on contact. With that said, it's also great that the parts and lieces are packed together in a really sensible manner! Kudos to Orion / Craftsman on this point! It made assembly of the model #22124 saw so much easier!

A Word of Warning, though... the instructions do indeed state (quite clearly, in fact) that it's a two-person job to hang the cast iron wings. I did it alone -- both of them! -- but it took its toll from me -- those suckers _are_ heavy and holding them up while lining up those bolts to thread into the main table is just not an easy task.. IF you have the stubborn determination to do it yourself, then just know that it's possible (but it would be a whole lot easier and likely more fun to have a buddy about).

Once the wings were attached, the rest of the assembly actually went along rather well. The book is pretty much clear and straightforward (something that actually surprised me)!

The greatest areas of growls came from the part where I began to install the Biessemeyer fence. Either someone in the tech writing department at Sears

***OR*** someone up the street from me at the Biessemeyer offices had darned well better get there act(s) together and decide just exactly where some certain holes should be in order to line up with the instructions!

I suspect the Biessemeyer people are to blame on this point.

Afterall, my fence was (quite obviously!) packaged up and delivered _before_the_paint_was_dry_!!!

Yep: _before_the_paint_was_dry_!!!

(How the heck else would one explain three separate places on three separate major pieces where the cream-colored paint was sort of mooshed into a (now-dried) puddle next to a bare metal spot that obviously should have had some paint on it?)

Also, there really is far too much factory paint in the pre-drilled holes that cause too many minor uh... adjustments (yeah! that's the word!) to be necessary. There is also the Groan! about the instructions where they call for the "notch" in the front mounting rail (bar or whatever you want to call the thing that supports to "tube").

You see, the instructions say that the "notch" is supposed to line up with the right-hand side of the saw blade. Well, ain't that just the sweetest thing ever?!?!! If it is supposed to line up the way the writer says, then the folks at Biessemeyer need to learn how to drill holes just a wee bit better!

Hey! the whole thing really IS close (within a few fractions of millimeters or so) but nonetheless so bloody far off per the instructions that you might think you're going bonkers trying to do it "right"!! But hang on! These gripes I'm expressing are more than likely isolated to just one day at the paint booth rather than pandemic. At least I hope so (but I doubt it and Biessemeyer better wake up PDQ.

This saw is nothing like the "crapsman" of the recent past!!!! It IS sweet. (Hell, it's better than sweet -- It has to be -- my wife gave me mine for _her_ Birthday!!!!)

Once the minor "items" were settled out and I plugged it in and turned it on for the first time. I thought I heard the --- well I know I'm silly but it might have been -- the Brandenburg Concerto.

That motor is solid and almost quiet! The blade just whisks the air rather than chop at it. The miter guides and stuff are downright FUN to play with until you figure out when you'll need / use any one of the oh-so-many variables to pick from/

Oh yeah. The CUT of the blade -- and the accuracy of the angle??? ... Dead ON and eat-your-heart-out-accurate. I hope to never hear from those Ryobi BT

3x wonk-heads who think that toy even comes close: it doesn't. I know -- First Hand.

-- Steve

Wrong begins with Dubya ~!~

Reply to
Steve

Having seen many industrial paint lines, I doubt it was not dry. My guess is that a solvent got onto the packing material or on to the parts after the paint area. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski