Dust Collector Recommendations Needed

Given that a shop vac can deliver much more suction than a dust collector (albeit while moving less air) the added static pressure of a trashcan separator should have minimial impact on the airflow.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Like a ton less air! A typical shop vac will move a tad over 100 CFM. A HF dust collector is rated at 1200 CFM, but my bet is they are bragging a bit high. Even so, about 10 times the air flow. You need air flow to move chips, static pressure, (suction), don't do squat for moving chips. Moving dust you have pretty much zero static pressure any way, maybe 4-5 inches of water column. Skip the trash can separator and try the shop vac direct, it still won't do a very good job. A few years back I tried doing this with two shop vacs hooked up, and it still didn't work. My el-cheapo HF dust collector bet it by a mile. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Probably not. The key is how you define suction.

Most people think of suction as either air speed or how much pull the end of the hose has against your hand. But these are only components of what really defines how much dust is collected: VOLUME OF AIR MOVED. According to,

the best a shop vacuum can do is 140 CFM, whereas most (real) dust collectors START at 800 CFM and go all the way up to 6,000+ CFM.

Bill Pentz Dust Collection site is a good primer:

digitect

So a shopvac moving 100cfm through a 4" hose gives much more suction than a DC moving 800cfm. What exactly is your definition of suction?!?!

A shopvac will do better when attached to a ROS than a DC will, but that is only because the openings are so small that the DC is starved for air. A planer is an example of where exactly the opposite is true; the DC is 5 or

10 times better.

And if you did put a separator on the shopvac you had better seal that sucker perfectly, as any leak will pretty much kill it. A DC doesn't much care about small leaks.

Reply to
Toller

How many water column inches it can raise.

Yes. I was simply objecting to your statement that adding a separator to a shopvac will cut the airflow.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I'm defining suction as vacuum pressure, or water column inches, or something similar.

Of course the shopvac won't move as much air as a dust collector, it's a totally different design. However, because of that difference in design adding a separator to a shopvac will have minimal impact on the volume of air moved because it can easily overcome the static pressure of the collector.

Conversely, a dust collector moves a lot of air but is sensitive to static pressure increases. Thus adding a cyclone or trashcan separator can have a large impact on the airflow (depending on the fan curve, of course).

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

It might be a difficult concept, but water column inches is pretty much irrelevant when you have free air flow, like on a planer. I am sure it is all explained somewhere.

Reply to
Toller

Tue, Oct 2, 2007, 12:34pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dave) doth sayeth: I have a typical Shop Vac I use in my garage which works great for small projects. The only thing I don't like about it is when I use it with my planer (as you want to do) I need to empty it every few minutes.

You could adapt it to dump into a large garbage can. That'd help some.

J T

You can suck the same water column through a plastic coffee stirrer as you can a large straw. But you would never drink through the stirrer because you can't pull drink through it fast enough to be useful.

Same thing with a dust collector. No matter the pressure at the motor/impeller side, through a 2-1/2" hose you simply can't pull enough air (entrained with dust). You need at least 4" duct, but preferably 5-6" with a motor/fan sized accordingly. The magic number is 800-1000 CFM. Imagine a 10'W x 10'D x 10'H room. Per minute.

Reply to
digitect

The magic number

I never thought of it that way before; interesting. Of course, that is only

15cfs.
Reply to
Toller

digitect wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@SPAMdancingpaper.com:

*snip*

Wow, that sucks.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

have you thought about the Mini CV06 cyclone.

That worked for me. I put between my shopvac and the tools. You can put any size containet you like on it. It is in the background on this pic.

have no connection other than as a happy customer.

Jerome Meekings

probably true, but not difficult to do as you can see from my one.

cyclone is sitting on an expanded polystyrene disk on the paint can lid that has another expanded polystyrene disk under it and is just screwed together. FWIW sometimes I forget to seat the lid firmly but then the suction keeps the lid on and no special care is needed to seal it until I turn the shopvac of.

The reason for the lashup is that many materials are hard to come by in tth LOS

Reply to
Jerome Meekings