Dust collection piping sticker shock

Oh, they'll be needed alright. They just have to take too sharp of a bend to get to the Y that was almost conveniently located.

Reply to
MikeWhy

B A R R Y

Yep, Bill Pentz's site gives pretty much the same conclusions. However, I did like the info Bill provvided about using aluminum tape inside and outside the length of the ducting jump grounded acrocss joints, etc. This at least avoids getting zapped. Also, the big danger I guess is sucking up sparks from mechanical activity. The article you referenced speaks about how not just explosion but even more likely smoldering fires. Yikes. I think maybe Bill's suggestion to NOT include a floor sweep opening where you can suck up screws to spark off the impellors is probably a good idea.

I guess I'll be add> S> > =A0But I can be

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I've been using Schedule 40 PVC since 1976. No static problems, no buildup to speak of, no explosions, no problems at all. No need to glue anything or tape anything either. I have mine set up so the collector is about 15 feet from my pre-collector drum, and everything except the finest dust, and very little of that, gets to the collector. Most of that gets filtered out before it hits the fan so about nothing ever hits the fan, a good thing I think.

The only fire I ever worried about was when I used to smoke. I could imagine a hot ember being collected somehow and smoldering until hours later... never happened though. I may have had the table saw smoking a few times too, that would make me nervous... Static electricity, I doubt it... I have a hard enough time getting my chain saw started, and it has vaporized gas and a spark plug, not wood chips and dust:-)

Reply to
Jack Stein