Drywall ceiling

If I'm understanding to what you are suggesting I do is: If I run furring strips front to back 16" OC, drywall left to right?

What I failed to mention this is a ceiling for the first floor in a 2 story house. What I had done in the kitchen was run furring strips front to back, drywall left to right with 4x8 sheets, some spots I still notice because I know where they are.

That's why I would like to use 4x12's with 3" towards the front that wont be noticed when I'm done. I'll take off the plaster then lath, find out how much the lift would cost to rent. I only have 6 sheets to put up for 2 rooms.

Reply to
noreaster

If he has a lathe on the ceiling, it *really* needs to come down before the board goes up.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I have started taking down the plaster in the dining room ( I stopped work in the living room because the other room was missing about 16 square feet, gave me more incentive(yeah right)), whatever they used for the ceiling is not the same for the walls, much harder to take down and weighs pretty heavy. I haven't taken down a ceiling before. I hope the 2/5th's come down a lot easier.

Reply to
noreaster

Actually both spellings are correct. In the original English it was lathe. Common use today tends to favour (note the spelling) lath.

Lathe \Lathe\ (l[=a][th]), n. [OE. lathe a granary; akin to G. lade a chest, Icel. hla[eth]a a storehouse, barn; but cf. also Icel. l["o][eth] a smith's lathe. Senses 2 and 3 are perh. of the same origin as lathe a granary, the original meaning being, a frame to hold something. If so, the word is from an older form of E. lade to load. See {Lade} to load.] 1. A granary; a barn. [Obs.] --Chaucer.

Note "the original meaning being, a frame to hold something."

A Lathe is also an ancient geo-political (administrative) division in parts of England (Kent in particular)

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

LRod wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

*snip*

One more suggestion: Make sure you don't miss any rows of screws. I've got an attic space in the garage where the installer missed a row of screws and the drywall's drooping, ready to fall as a result. I haven't quite decided how to fix it. (Probably use a 1x2 to hold it up... Simple and easy fix.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I wont miss a row. I'll put up enough screws to hold up the drywall so I can get all the sheets up then go fill in the blanks. I don't use any nails, screws work much easier and wont pop out. I try getting what screws I can to go thru thru drywall, furring strips and joist where I can.

Reply to
noreaster

If the strapping is well attached to the joists you don't need to worry about getting drywall screws into the joists. If the strapping is not well attached a few drywall screws won't help much.

RicodJour

I'm making sure the strapping is very well attached. I don't want to have to go fix it later down the road.

Reply to
noreaster

read regarding the subject uses lathe as well. I am glad someone clarified this for Robert and others.

Mark

Reply to
BDBConstruction

Only Yanks use lath. Too bloody lazy to spell correctly. color vs colour, valor vs valour, lite vs light, you'd think ink was expensive or something.

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

The plaster and lathe has come down (in the dining room), what a mess. Tons of shimming to do, the joists are all over the place. A quick eyeball around its at least 1 1/2", looks like they sag but all are even at the top. I can see the living room being even messier. I guess I'm going the run the furring front to back and left to right.

Reply to
noreaster

"Lite" is a brand name for a kind of substance that pretends to be beer. The things that go on the ceiling and provide illumination are "lights" as is the radiation that they emit, and one of the properties of helium gas, and so on.

Reply to
J. Clarke