Drill Press Table Lift

(Also posted in abpw)

Has anyone see a source for retrofit table lifts for drill presses? I am gathering parts to add a larger table, with fence system, to my vintage Craftsman 17" floor model. The table is kind of heavy now and my addition is going to make it more difficult to lift and drop. I'm just looking for the a plain old rack and pinion lift, or similar - nothing fancy.

If no sources, any other ideas?

Reply to
RonB

Sweet Sawdust

One of the ww mags had a reader tip a few years ago about using a pully and wire connected to a weight to zero the weight of the table. The weight was the same as the table so once losened from the column it could be moved up and down easily. IIRC the weitht had a way to add weight to compensate for additional fixtures added to the table. MIght have been a coffee can partially filled with concrete/scrap metal with room to add a little more. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

I have had some similar suggestions from this post and similar posts on ABPW and rec.crafts.woodturning, including one with photos of a counterbalance setup. Looks like the way to do it.

Thanks for the suggestions

Reply to
RonB