Drill Index as teaching aid

Over the years I've had a bunch of the Huot metal drill indexes. It always drove me nuts that sometimes I'd go to put a bit away and it would get stuck partway down, or I couldn't get it to go in the lower hole. Occasionally I would even have a bit of a tantrum and hammer the bit in there, bending the holes. I'd be like "why the heck do they make these stupid holes so small". Of course that's sort of the point of the index - to make you put the appropriate bit back in the appropriate hole. And why won't it go back in? Am I in too big a hurry to take my time and line it up? If so, why? Usually the culprit is a small burr on the side of the bit that's hanging things up. So I need to learn to file it off before returning the bit. And I also need to learn to tighten my chuck properly so the bit doesn't slip and turn up a burr. Or maybe I need to use a different drill with a different chuck for that size bit in that particular material - like one that uses a chuck key instead of just a hand tightener. Or maybe my technique or drill speed was wrong...

In any event, I just hammered a drill bit back into my drill index worked like a charm.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

"If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Which one would have been smarter?

1 - Finding the hammer and applying brute force to the bit; or 2 - Looking at the bit and hole and determining the root cause of the problem?

Seems to me that if a burr were the issue, you may have (probably?) altered the drill index hole, not the bit, other than blunting the point, of course. Therefore it may be (probably?) hard to get the bit out of the index and then back in again - unless you line the burr up just right.

FWIW, for me, it's *always* been a burr when a bit wouldn't go back into that style index.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Or you could just put the bit in business end first.

Reply to
tcr...

So if the bit slips in the chuck it can often cause a bur on the shank of the bit. Is that the problem?

That bur will prevent easy insertion of the bit. A file will fix theat issue.

Reply to
Leon