Drill bit size for copper pipe union?

Nope, it had a stop. It doesn't anymore.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Your solution is to a problem other than the one posted.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That may be true in the case of couplings or fittings that pipe screws _into_ but the OD of the pipe itself is controlled by the spec, otherwise pipe and fittings from different sources would not be interchangeable. And unlike pipe, tubing is sized by OD.

Reply to
Larry W

IS CORRECT, _IN_THE_ORIGINAL_CONTEXT_ -- "fittings", not "Pipe"

IS CORRECT, _IN_THE_ORIGINAL_CONTEXT_ -- "fittings", not "Pipe"

Yes, _Pipe_ is specified by OD. ID varies.

*FITTINGS* -- the 'stuff' under discussion -- which pipe goes into, *ARE* sized by the I.D. They -have- to be, to ensure a proper fit with the 'same size name' pipe (OD. speirfication) The OD of such fittings is *NOT* critical -- it doesn't have to match up to anything else -- and, therefore *CAN*BE* 'whatever the manufacturer d*mn well pleases"
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Incorrect IN ALL CONTEXTS because the statement is overly general. "Plumbing stuff" includes both pipe and fittings. Had you said "Plumbing fittings are specced by inside diameter" I would not have disagreed.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The drill has to match the exterior dimension of the union? That dimension is NOT CONTROLLED, it can be different from one to the next. One I have handy measures 18.6 mm, a little under 47/64 inch...

Reply to
whit3rd

Well, for anyone who cares, I found that the right size bit is an Irwin Model 44801 .

Reply to
J. Clarke

If you epoxy it in, use the 23/32 or 3/4". If you are press fitting it, use the 11/16. If the press is too tight, perhaps freezing the coupling to shrink it a bit first would help.

Out of curiosity, what are you using it for? I use them for file and chisel handles I turn, they look really nice all shined up and varnished, even after 30 years of hard use:

I measured an old 1/2 fitting with my new 6" HF digital caliper and also got 23/32. The caliber is on sale 7/2 to 7/5 at HF fo $15. I of course paid list on an impulse buy.

Reply to
Jack Stein

So I will try to clarify the issue or confuse people even more. ;oP I can tell you this stuff can be confusing. An unthreaded copper pipe is measure not by the inside diameter because of the schedule and not by the outside diameter either. If you go buy a 3/8" unthreaded pipe it will have an OD of

1/2".

A 1/2" pipe will measure 5/8 OD. The schedule will change the thickness from the inside diameter. An unthreaded copper fitting is measured by the ID and a 1/2 " copper pipe fitting (tee, coupler) will have a 5/8" inside diameter. For other material like PVC (I never measured them) or iron pipes (never used them) the measurement will be different from copper. Because I built a still I had to measure the copper pipes and fitting and at some point I was a bit lost.

Then for threaded fitting the measurement are different and since I never used them I find it a bit confusing if I had to order some. The OPoster has a fitting which I am not sure exactly because an union has 3 parts so if it is untreaded and the inside diameter is 1/2" it is a 3/8" fitting to fit a

3/8" pipe measuring 1/2" OD (the pipe). So the hole if a standard fitting meaning (coupler) will be 1/2" +/- with the tolerance which I do not know. This will fit a 3/8" pipe which will measure 1/2" OD.

About the confusion I had at some point was the copper tubing (coil) which are measured O.D. Though I looked at McMaster they seem to use the same convention than for the pipe I can swear they did not in the past. I imagine the confusion when ordering online.

they use the proper convention for copper pipe and copper tubing.

VirtualDen

I made a reply sooner about pipe size to clarify thing but I did not read your post correctly. The inside diameter of your union is not 1/2" like I though so it is a real 1/2" fitting measuring 5/8 inside. Since I saw the tool you bought I know now what you want to do and I do not know the OD but it will be obviously more than 5/8". I should have noticed when you talked about 11/16. Sorry I just read too fast though my post on copper fitting stand.

VD

VirtualDen

Oops this post is supposed to be a reply to Clarke.

VirtualDen

I like fish, but if you're making kettles by soldering pipe together, shouldn't you specify a lead-free solder?

Reply to
Joe Bramblett