Drawer fronts

Almost done with my dresser.

Is it typical to glue a drawer front to a false front or just screws only?

I thought just screws would be better if I ever need or want to change to a new drawer front.

What do you guys do??

Reply to
stoutman

I cut small slots or and slightly oversized hole in the front of the actual drawer and use screws to adhere the front to it. That way I can adjust the visible front of the drawer slightly to make it line up perfectly to the overall piece.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Screw only. For the reason you stated.

Reply to
Leon

I always use truss head screws with a 1/4" hole to allow for drawer front adjustment. A truss head screw is a washer head screw with a larger diameter "washer". The number of screws depend on the size of the drawer front.

Reply to
Preston Andreas

I always glue and screw them in place. Sometimes I glue and pin them from the back and use the handle screws to pull it all together. There can be a lot of pressure applied to a drawer front, especially if using finger grips in place of a handle. regards John

Reply to
John B

Screws in case you screw it up later and need to replace.

I measure, pre-drill, then clamp together for screwing.

Reply to
Guess who

screw ONLY.

dave

Reply to
David

Thanks everyone!

The draws are done, poly is cureing. I will post pics tomorrow night or the next.

I look forward to everyones critique. I learned a lot on this project!

Reply to
stoutman

Regardless of what some of the "Elders" might think about this group. This group is one of the best sources of wood knowledge not always accessible from a book or magazine. I wouldn't trade this NG for 5 free years of FineWoodworking Magazine!

Post a question and bam, an answer in minutes!

Gotta love it.

thanks again.

Reply to
stoutman

I betcha the "elders" would like the group more if they actually participated more and quit bitching. Additionally, I bet their elders thought the same of them also.

Reply to
Leon

Too true. Just like in life. Ever since I hit middle age I noticed how dumb some of the young 'uns seem to be that are coming up in the trades.

I have to remind myself of how I was looked at (and treated) when I started out as a green as a gourd carpenter's helper. In that light, there isn't any difference at all; the more things change, the more they stay the same.

If I EVER hear myself actually say (after pulling my pants up and spitting), "well when I started out, we didn't have all the fancy tools that did everything for you, we had to figure it out.... you know... we actually worked for a living" I hope I am smart enough to realize just how damn old and intolerant I am getting and do something about it.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Isn't that one of the very few benefits of getting older?

Reply to
Upscale

Use screws. Make slightly enlarged holes in the drawer box front, and use screws with washer heads. I just did this and used some special drawer screws with large heads from McFeeley's (no financial interest).

also allows you to adjust and align the drawers accurately.

Reply to
joeljcarver

drill for the pilot hole...

RicodJour

Avoids scrunching the wood, allowing some slight space allaowance for the center solid portion of the screw. Also it helps guide the screw. The screw still bites into what's left. It's the same principle as for plastic inserts that screw into drywall, then a real screw goes into them, ...but this is all in one. Wish I'd thought of it.

Reply to
Guess who

I use washer head screws through an oversize hole. For the reason you mentioned.

Also, it's easy to adjust to get an even gap all the way around.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Tried that with my wife...she didn't like the clamps.

Moon

Reply to
Moon