Dovetail redux

I finally had a chance to take a closer look at Pop Woodworking's dovetail jig for the table saw. Theirs seemed big and clunky (11-1/2 X 28) and besides, I didn't have much scrap plywood on hand. I designed a smaller jig that uses many of the same ideas but takers up less than half the real estate.

Instead of two opposing ten degree angled fences for cutting the pins, my jig has one fence designed so I can reverse the angle. And I use a scrap in my miter gauge as a makeshift fence for cutting the tails instead of a straight fence on the back side of the jig.

The end result is that I have a workable jig and I'm now able to make smaller dovetails with no tearout that fit very tightly together. That being the point of the exercise, now I can start to make drawers.

Reply to
Chuck Hoffman

Oh, I neglected to add that I can nibble away most of the material with the table saw so handwork has been minimized. Just a little cleanup with a sharp chisel. That, of course, was another point of the exercise.

Reply to
Chuck Hoffman

"Chuck Hoffman" wrote in news:FyhKd.7734$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

The end result is, that after all of this discussion, you owe us pictures when the drawers are all done. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

You got it.

Reply to
Chuck Hoffman

Or... pictures now of your jig.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Chuck -

I saw, and have that article... somewhere.... if'n y'can could you post pics of your jig with the race mods? The concept was intriguing, but it did seem too big - I am gathering a proliferation of jigs....

TIA,

John

Reply to
John Moorhead