Dovetail bit not centered in baseplate

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me? I recently tried to use a dovetail jig and found that my dovetail joints were consistently sloppy on one side of the pin by about 1/16". Everything else fit snuggly when viewed from the side but at the top of each pin there was this 1/16" gap. (and, yes, I tried extending the bit a little but the joint was still sloppy)

After checking everything out, I've concluded that because the bit is off-center in the guide bushing, the bit is allowed to travel a little deeper on one side of the cut. Looking at the bit in the bushing, it is obvious that this is where my slop is coming in.

I removed the bushing and checked the distance from the bit to the edge of the baseplate and then checked the opposite side. There is a

1/16" difference. I tried removing all the screws and rotating the baseplate clockwise a couple of times, but the results are still pretty much the same. (oh, sorry, didn't mention that I am using a Porter-Cable 690 series router with the stock baseplate) I also tried using a baseplate from my plunge router base. Almost the same results. I would have thought that PC would have better tolerances than that. Anyway, can you think of any way to correct this problem so that I can use my dovetail jig?

Could I use a bearing in lieu of the guide bushing? My jig requires a

7/16" O.D. bushing so if a bearing is a possibility, do they come in that size? What would hold the bearing on the shaft?

I'm a newbie to woodworking and not at all comfortable with the idea of trying to make a new baseplate at this point. I'd just be happy to be able to use my jig to make the drawers for the router table I'm building. I know a little further on in the process I'll be pretty much forced to make a baseplate for the table, but I'm just working on little steps at a time. :)

Thanks, Sandy

Reply to
srozhon

Are you rotating the router when you use it? Try to keep the orientation the same at all times. It's a good idea to mark one side of the baseplate with a marking pen and always keep the mark facing you. Also, you will want to remove the three baseplate screws and try rotating the baseplate over one set of holes at a time until you find the holes that get the bit closer to center.

You rarely find a 690 that is dead-on concentric, but if you get it close, and always orient the router the same way, you should be able to get better cuts than you are getting on your jig.

Reply to
Swingman

Most of us have been confronted by your problem, I'm sure. In my case, I did some modification of the holes in the plastic baseplate. Doesn't take much (1/32) to compensate. Makes it necessary to check concentricity every time thereafter, but you've seen that the results will justify the effort. The counterbores are usually enough oversize; a bit of scraping might be necessary if they're not.

Reply to
George

No

Also, you will want to

Tried that with very little change in the results.

This advice will work well in general but when using a guide bushing it doesn't help that much because when you are routing down a 1/2" pair of dovetail fingers on a template, you can't really keep the same edge against the pattern.

Thanks for your reply, Sandy

Reply to
srozhon

It seems to me that those counterbores are what pull the baseplate out of alignment. What do you scrap them with? A small knife?

Sandy

Reply to
srozhon

Swingman wrote, wondering if this is really what he meant?

You'd think that one of the top of the line routers, (Porta Cable) could get a measurement right! Sure doesnt say much about Porta Cable when it comes to getting their baseplates in line. Makes me a little leary about my next purchase.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

If that'll do it. I used a carving gouge, though you might do as well with a Dremel-mounted rotary file.

Reply to
George

I did everything mentioned in this string. I ended up purchasing a DW 610 for my dovetail work. It solved all my problems. :-) I only use my 690 in a router table these days, along with a foot switch for safety.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Some information on the collar/cutter centricity issue at the

link. A very common problem. Suspect your error is more like a 1/32nd x 2. As bad as it may seem, doing a 180 with the router when the work is indexed on the right side of the jig may cancel all of the error. Try sample on scrap.

Routerman P. Warner