Does a garage need a vapor barrier?

I'm plannig to insulate the outside wall and a half of the garage and I'm wonderring if a vapor barrier is really needed. between the two doors and all the opening and closing, there's plenty of air exchange and the outside is already covered with house wrap, and I wouldn't really get any air infiltration benefits. So I'm thinking, "What's the point?"

Reply to
Keep it to Usenet please

Yes you should. The vapor barrier will keep any moisture away from the insulation

Reply to
A Dog Named Stain

You and your cars produce moisture, not to mention your washer/dryer if they're out there.

If you're loose as a goose, no problem, but if the doors are fairly tight, moisture might work into batt insulation.

Reply to
George

ALWAYS put a moisture brrier under ant concrete. Don't be TOO cheap; you'll hurt yourself.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I thought the same thing. I bought a roll of poly barrier for about $20 that will do my entire garage and have some left over. For the small amount of money involved and the even less amount of labor to staple it up, why take a chance?

I'm not done yet, but my shop is better than it was last year already. The insulation made a huge difference on the 25 degree days we have had so far. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The point is, what will it hurt if you do use a vapor barrier?

If you ever plan on heating the garage, it will be important. Should you never heat it, the vapor barrier will prevent you from coming into contact with the fiberglass insulation.

But what do I know, I just peddle lumber...

Woodsy

Reply to
Woodsy

In areas that get cold, such as where I am, snow, rain and road slush keep the floor in the garage wet most of winter, this can keep the interior humidity at a very high level and this can penetrate the insulation or condense on the inside of the outside walls. Install the vapour barrier, it won't do you any harm, only good.

Help, I'm

held

.sig

factory!