DIY HEATING, OR COOLING, YOUR SHOP

I would imagine it would work, but not sure of the efficiency. If you had water, or wind, power running a compressor, you could have it for "free". Interesting.

JOAT When you're up to your ass in alligators, today is the first day of the rest of your life.

- Archchancellor Mustrum Ridcully, UU

Reply to
J T

A window air conditioner is both cheaper to run and quieter. My adventures with Vortex tubes many years ago required hearing protection and that stupid compressor running almost continuously.

I bought a 10k BTU window unit at an outlet store (condenser fins were crushed, 20 minutes with a borrowed fin comb took care of that) and installed it in my fully insulated 3 car garage. It does a great job of keeping the area workable during Boise summers and barley makes a blip on the electric bill.

JMHO

Andy

Reply to
Andy

The article states that these tubes are not available commercially but this is not correct. DAGS for "cold air gun" if anyone's interested.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

I noted in an earlier post that you might come up with a cheap heating system using a recycled furnace. These aren't junk units, just systems that were removed during a remodel or update. Several years ago I purchased an older but perfectly good forced air furnace from a fellow that did a house add-on. It cost $25. I already had gas plumbed in so all I had to do was add the exhaust flue, thermostat and a simple welded rack to mount it on (angle iron and pipe). The rack got the downdraft machine off of the floor and I just let it blow out the bottom into the small shop I had.

A cousin did the same thing using a 3-4 year old, $100 updraft furnace. He also built a rack to get it off of the floor and away from fumes (stored a fueled car in the shop). He also installed a very simple duct to blow the air in two directions.

These aren't necessarily the most efficient systems but when you compare payback on investment, it takes a long time to catch up with a more expensive system. If interested, check for local construction material recycle yards. These folks have a lot of surprising quality among the junk.

Ron

Reply to
RonB

For my shop, I talked to a local HVAC owner and got a free electric furnace. I've only hooke dup two bars...the third requires me to install a 90 amp breaker instead of a 60 amp. This coming winter will be its first in real use. Simple install. Cart it into the attic area. Cut a hole in the ceiling. Place a

20 buck sheet metal vent over furnace and into ceiling. Cover with mesh. Install wiring and thermostat. No flues, nada.

If it goes south, I'll go try to talk another HVAC guy out of another unit. Worse comes to worst, I'll pay him for it, but basically, you're saving the contractor money by taking such items. Usually, they have to be dumped, which costs. But next time, I'll keep the A coils and have central air, instead of window units.

Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self