DIY Coffin Plans

See the subject line, I know this thread has come up at times in the wreck, but I still can't find any plans.

This started off as a bit of a black joke at a recent funeral, but has become a little more serious in the last few days.

I understand there's a book on it, but in the best interests of my Scots ancestry; I'm looking for a freebie.

I know it won't be hard to dream one up (sort of a box about 6 ft long) but maybe plans will have a few handy tips and ideas with them. I also favour plywood, so any ideas on what thickness would work? I think 1/2".

TIA

Barry

Reply to
Barry Lennox

You are one hell of a cheap Scot (Written by William Wallace so I have a right). 1/2" ply? I can just see the solemn pall bearers moving up the steps of the church and the bottom falling out of the darn 1/2" CDX box and the poor deceased taking a big bounce on the way back down the steps

Sorry for the dark humor. I hope no one near is headed to the great beyond but life is just a little to short to be too sad in the face of all we face.

Lang may your lum reek BW

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Reply to
Mike Fields

right). 1/2" ply? I can just see the >solemn pall bearers moving up the steps of the church >and the bottom falling out of the darn 1/2"

Well, I thought it was pretty damn funny. I have been to two funerals in the last 9 months of "family" members. A little levity on the subject is well appreciated.

I am now wondering if Barry thought of using OSB. That 7/16" is a lot stronger than many think... ;^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Hell, I've instructed my best friend who has been designated my executor and sole beneficiary, to have the cheapest funeral he can buy, or if possible not to have one at all. He's to take some money I've put aside and take any friends of mine out, feed them dinner and get them drunk. Damned if I'm going to have what used to be my money wasted just to get me into the ground. Cremation and no church service, that's what I want.

Reply to
Upscale

Sat, Jun 23, 2007, 11:02am (EDT+16) snipped-for-privacy@spamgourmet.com (Barry=A0Lennox) doth sayeth: See the subject line, I know this thread has come up at times in the wreck, but I still can't find any plans.

Indeed it has. And I've posted several plans myself. Are you sure it's cofin plans you want? Or casket plans? A quick google should turn up plans. How It's Made has a great segment on making a caske. It's really simple and quick, it only takes about 5 minuts on te how.

JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there?

- General George S. Patton

Reply to
J T

sole beneficiary, to have >the cheapest funeral he can buy, or if possible

friends of mine out, feed them dinner >and get them drunk. Damned if I'm going to have what >used to be my money wasted just to get me into the

AMEN! I'm right there with you on that one. The two funerals I went to required no plots as both were highly decorated vets.

However, the funeral services for each ran between $14,000 and $16,000. They weren't that fancy, but all the different things they do now cost a mint. As for me, I had absolutely no idea you paid for your obituary these days as an "add on". In fact, there is nothing to do with the funeral that isn't an add on.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Where I am familiar w/ "local practice", obituaries up to a certain length for area residents are printed gratis in the local papers. I don't recall the precise word length, but you can get a decent obit published free. Longer or more elaborate ones or those from out of town are paid.

Reply to
dpb

Some have the longer "obits" that you pay for and "death notices" that are free. I'm opting for the free one. What more is there to say besides "Joe Blough died"? Anyone that cares probably already knows and knows about my life . Why spend money to tell the rest? Don't send flowers either; I won't be able to see them. If you rally want me to have flowers, send them now and I can even thank you for them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's also a practice -- that was common in TN iirc.

You're certainly free to opt for whatever you want... :)

The obituary is an interesting thing -- superficially your analysis is "spot on". But, depending on circumstances, it can be much more than one realizes. Certainly far too complex a subject to digress into, but one often never knows how others react or are affected by their direct or indirect knowledge of another.

As others long before me have observed, funerals aren't for the dead, they're for those who remain after...

--

Reply to
dpb

Is there a genealogist in your family? Those of us who think highly of our ancestors (if it weren't for them, I wouldn't be here ;-) really appreaciate those long-winded obits. They often give married names of sisters and aunts that would otherwise be difficult to trace.

John

Reply to
John

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

My mother wanted 'cheap as possible', but I couldn't deal with the notion of a cardboard tray for the cremation. So, 3/4" maple cabinet ply, with 8 or 10 coats of hand rubbed shellac, on a box that lasted maybe 6 days from the start of the process.

It's just what she would have wanted. And building it was exactly what I needed to be doing then.

My dad wants one just like it, just not terribly soon.

Patriarch, who knows there are a lot of ways to deal with the passage out of this life...

Reply to
Patriarch

Patriarch wrote: ...

I think some of the really exotic caskets in the South Sea islands and other places are really pretty cool...

FWW had an article some time back --

--

Reply to
dpb

Same here. I don't want a funeral, period. I want to be dumped in a ditch or shoved overboard and eaten by fishes or whatever. Stuff me and use me as a coat rack, what do I care, I'm dead. I don't want to be pumped full of chemicals and put on display, just get rid of my body and get on with your lives already.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

dpb wrote in news:f5k2im$7s4$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

I missed the FWW article, I guess. There's about a 12 year hole in my collection, in the early color era.

You're not talking about the boat they build, set the body on it, and set it afloat, afire, down the river, are you? That's a bit non-standard, even for most Californians. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Fri, Jun 22, 2007, 9:34pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com (Upscale) doth sayeth: Hell, I've instructed my best friend who has been designated my executor and sole beneficiary, to have the cheapest funeral he can buy, or if possible not to have one at all.

I've told my family I want to be cremated when it gets to that stage. Supposedly my veteran's benefits will cover all the cost. That'll leave a lot more for them. My mother now, she has probably everything pre-paid that can be pre-paid.

JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there?

- General George S. Patton

Reply to
J T

Why so difficult? If someone can put it together for a $300 obituary, that same relative can do it now for free or maybe a lunch. That is my point of going for cheap. If you really give a damn about me, lets have a beer later, not after I'm dead.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I would like nothing better than a 2 hour lunch with my grandparents, all of whom have been dead for more than 30 years.

Little things - When did my mother and I live with you? When did we live in the house on Rayner? What do you know about my father's death?

That not being available, I'll take some verbose obits and family letters instead.

John

Reply to
John

snip .

Many thanks for all the replies, I now have a couple of good plans, It looks like they all use 3/4 or 4/4 ply. Seems overkill to me, I put some 1/2 ply on a couple of 4x2s and bounced on it, it didn't break. This is all done in the name of economy.

I'm not going to give these funeral vultures a penny more than necessary. Cremation, DIY coffin, free orbit, NO flowers.

I'm even toying with the idea of donating my body to "medical science" A medical university throws you into a big tank of preservative and students use bits for anatomy practice. That is ZERO cost, but I might strike some problems from family.

This is not an urgent problem, just thinking ahead 30-40-50 ?? years. So many projects, so little time!

Reply to
Barry Lennox