Disassembling a gumwood door

Hi folks, I'm new here (who do I see about a raise?)

Hope I can get some advice.

I'm pretty much a novice woodworker, and in need of some specific learning.

I found a place in my house where I can put a small closet. I'm thinking a perfect place to store the vacuum cleaner and such.

I also found a gumwood door to match all the other doors in my house.

Problem the new closet will only be about 4 feet high (under the eves), and the door is a standard 75 inch.

I'd like to dissemble, cut it down, and reassemble the proper height.

BUT

It seems they used pretty good glue 60-100 years ago.

Any suggestions for a solvent, and how to get it into some deep mortised joints?

Reply to
Jim

you may have some success with vinegar to soften the glue.

since you're cutting the door down and throwing away the part you cut off, you will likely be better off cutting the stiles to the new height leaving either the head or foot rail in place and cutting away what remains of the stiles from the tennons on the now loose rail. you may not be able to use the same type of joinery for the reassembly since you need to slide the rail in from the end this time.

Reply to
bridger