Dip in Table Saw--Should I send it back?

until each was as flat as you wanted.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I have yet to see a good straight edge at the BORG. So if your thinking of buying one there forget it.

Look in grainger or online for Starrett, Lufkin, any others?

You should think of investing in a rule longer than one foot. A two foot rule cost more than twice a one foot rule, and if your going to buy a rule you might as well get a square head with it as a set. I would suggest a iron head Starrett 11H-24-4R (~ $90). If you were using the set in anything more abrasive than wood dust I would suggest getting a

33H-24-4R. The 33H is a forged steel head.
Reply to
Mark

It wouldn't hurt to mention you have a few thousand friends on rec woodworking anxiously waiting to see how Grizzly handles this potentially unsafe situation.

Reply to
BIG JOE

Wow, that's nuts! :-)

Reply to
Larry Bud

It wouldn't help much either if past experience is any guide.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

OH NO WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!

Besides isn't that a contractor saw?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Heh. Same procedure you would use on a cabinet saw. Notice, if you read, that he makes reference the Delta Unisaw tolerances as a motivation for performing the procedure.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Perfect doesn't exist and shouldn't be used as a descriptor, but even so it is about as perfect as any of them. Powermatic claims to be 2 thousandths flatter, while Delta's tolerances could land you a Unisaw 3 thousandths worse.

I have a G1023S arriving today in about 3 hours. I'll take the time to see where it comes in.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Probably more comfortable than the people who have spent significantly more money on a different name brand with the same tolerances and are trying to justify doing so in their minds.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I "justify" all my purchases BEFORE plonking my money down. If I find that I was duped by hype, then it goes back for a refund. I haven't can't think of a single item I've got that I "justify" in my mind for comfort's sake.

dave

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I believe this thread has gone to a level far beyond what is practical .. .. .. I have had a 1023 Grizz for about 9 years now and I don't have a clue to this day exactly how flat it is. I also don't believe it much matters by the time I drop on my homemade plywood panel cutting sled or my homemade mdf tennoning jig, etc.

I wonder how many of you are using plywood & mdf jigs on your "perfect" saws and have no idea what the TRUE level of perfection is that you are dealing with ?? ?? ??

If .015" is within spec. for a number of respected manufacturers, why all the fuss ?? ?? ??

If there's a gradual "dip" that in no way affects performance, who cares ?? ?? ?? If, on the other hand there is a visible or detectable "ridge" which interferes with your use of the tool, by all means return it. Keep in mind that IF your degree of accuracy in making the measurements is incorrect or inadequate, YOU will be responsible for the shipping & handling of the returned pieces, BOTH WAYS !! !! !!

They are a generally a great company to do business with, but they cannot and I assure you they WILL NOT absorb costs associated with frivolous complaints. Now before I get flamed for that statement, I am in no way calling your complaint frivolous .. .. .. but if they measure it and find you to be wrong .. .. .. THEY CERTAINLY WILL !! !! !!

None of us can see, measure, feel, or appraise the effects of your described defect, therefore no one can give absolutely perfect advice .. .. the decision must be yours and yours alone. Good luck with whichever route you choose based on your own instincts and the advice & opinions you've received here. Just please bear in mind, IF YOU ARE WRONG .. .. .. it will be somewhat costly on your part.

Aga> A little followup/clarification:

Reply to
Anonymous

She's 45 and still paying. It was left in deferral for a while, so it probably got even bigger.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

And she's considered one of the smart Ivy League educated professionals? Sure hope those degrees help pay off that debt in time to retire!

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Reply to
Mapdude

B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Funny isn't it. A doctor incurs hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt and it takes dozens of years to pay it off. My sister in law, a high school graduate, had 4 chicken houses put in their property at a cost of 2 million. She paid it off in 4 years.

Reply to
Joe Willmann