DeWalt DCT416S1 Thermal Imaging Camera

It's $1000 price tag puts Festool to shame, but it's still one hell of a tool. You can save images to an inserted memory card for emailing or keeping a record of what it's found.

Electricians, HVAC, Remodelers, Maintenance and Service professionals would all have a use for this tool.

Dave

party energy efficiency firms, whom you must hire to do periodic inspections of various stages of construction to gain Energy Star, LEED, et al, certifications/ratings, have been using thermal imaging devices for a few years now ... To the dismay of many an unscrupulous/unaware contractor.

AAMOF, I recently read about a plugin/rendering software that can be used with Sketchup to display the TI readings on a 3D model. I expect that SU will gain more of these BIM related features now it's been acquired by Trimble.

Reply to
Swingman

also be useful at the local bar/dance club. ; )

Reply to
Meanie

So you can find all the hot women?

Reply to
Dave

BINGO!

Reply to
Meanie

Similar instruments are used around where I work for checking wiring connections. Considering a bad service connection can burn up a $10k breaker and shut the operation for hours(or days), the cost for the imagers are of no importance, a bargain at any price.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

basilisk wrote in news:FzwPs.135224$Yp1.82885@en- nntp-13.dc1.easynews.com:

I wonder if DCC (model railroad) short circuits would show up nicely on one. The circuit breaker trips, waits a few seconds then tries again to restart. I guess it depends on how fast the camera detects the change in temperature.

Currently, my method to locate short circuits is to listen for the noise. It's a frequency that not many people can hear (I've asked, there's 3 in about 14 people who can hear it), but it usually leads right to the trouble spot.

One of these days, these IR temperature cameras are going to come down to "average person" or at least "determined hobbiest" prices.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper