dewalt 733 planer knives needed

I went to grab my spare set of knives for my 733 and I can't find them. I still have a bit of life left on the set in the planer but I have another 400 bd feet of pine I need to plane.

I don't think I am going to make it on these knives. I can find them at Amazon but do I have better (cheaper) sources? Does anyone know the dimensions of the knives so I can look for my self?

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Have you tried the DeWalt parts and service people? Woodcraft also has/had them.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

It might be quicker to have them sharpened.

Reply to
Nova

Another advantage of having them sharpened is that they will be in better shape than when new.

BTW, you might compare prices at Harbor Freight. They carry the blades and are sometimes cheaper. The downside is that they are often slow in getting them to you.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

| snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote: |> I went to grab my spare set of knives for my 733 and I can't find |> them. I still have a bit of life left on the set in the planer but I |> have another 400 bd feet of pine I need to plane. |> |> I don't think I am going to make it on these knives. I can find them |> at Amazon but do I have better (cheaper) sources? Does anyone know |> the dimensions of the knives so I can look for my self? |> |> Thanks, |> |> Wes |It might be quicker to have them sharpened.

No kidding, although my sharpening service usually takes a week.

First of all, knives appear in the parts breakdown drawing (#82) on Dewalt's web site, but they are not in the list of available parts. They may be elsewhere on the site, but I haven't looked.

I placed an order for other parts for my '733 on Saturday. I knew that nothing would happen about processing the order over the weekend, but I did expect they would ship Monday or today (Tues) at the latest. According to the web site they still haven't shipped.

Wes

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Sharpen them yourself - quickly using Scary Sharp method and a 13" long section of 2x4. Cut a 1/8" wide (TS blade thickness) bevel (at the same angle of the blade) and at a depth so the tip of the blade barely protrudes above the slot. Use tape to fit the blade to the slot and to raise the blade (.003" typical masking tape thickness).

Turn the whole thing over and place a sheet of 180 to 400 grit on a hard flat surface (plate glass, etc.) and use Scary Sharp to put an edge on both blades in about 10 mins time. You can get fancy and make a better holding jig but this is quick, down and dirty - zip for cost and works great. See ASCII art below. If I can find the site url where I originally found this idea, I'll post it since it had some pics and a better description.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

[snip]

Thanks Bob, If they stop planing before I either find the spares or am done I will use your method. Scary sharp works good on hand plane iron and chisels and with your concept it ought to work fine for this.

wes

PS

I have now found all my spare sets of jointer during my search :)

Reply to
clutch