Designing a work table

On Fri, 4 May 2012 22:15:59 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

And, a dado blade makes lap joints a breeze.

Reply to
Dave

That wouldn't be sportsman-like! ; )

Reply to
Bill

You could. It would be a lot easier with a bandsaw. Not hard with a table or radial saw either...just make a number of crosscuts to the proper depth, pop out the excess, clean up with chisel and/or rasp. Do it the same way with a circular saw. You could even use a chain saw. Or a hand saw.

Reply to
dadiOH

A good sharp No. 71 (or 71-1/2) Stanley router plane is a great tool for cleaning up the irregularities left by the saw blade at the bottom of a dado or rabbet. A lot more fun and very sportsman-like. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

Good points. Not all of them apply to making the cut in the middle of a

4by4. I don't have a table saw yet. I didn't quite realize I could count on a BS for glue-able flatness--I suppose with a 1/2" blade (which I have).

Among other things, this table is going to be my "Scarey-Sharp" sharpening station. I may have to practice my Scarey-Sharp technique in the kitchen first before I complete this project! : )

Thanks! Bill

Reply to
Bill

tiredofspam wrote in news:Su2dnX8Hp_qADjvSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

*snip*

*snip*

Sometimes the best place to hide a mistake is in plain sight. Just leave it there and don't advertise it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Swingman replied:

It took me a few more hours of screwing around (I mean "designing") to realize that you got that apron/stretcher part "just right"--and you got a perfect place for a shelf/table as a bonus.

My new diagram (not posted) looked like crap until I recalled the picture you posted above, and adjusted my front and back and side strechers to the same height(s).

I'm curious why you choice to use doubled-up 2by4s for legs instead of

4by4s? Please explain your rationale if you don't mind.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Very. What seems like a good idea on paper is often stupid or impossible in reality.

There are times when strict adherence to a plan is necessary but IMO & IME hobbyist woodworking is not among them.

Reply to
dadiOH

I have to yield to your experience in woodworking, which is certainly far greater than mine. But, I'm on the 3rd version (plan) of my work table now and i have not wasted a single board. Without this approach, I'd still be building the 1st inferior version. I built, almost by the seat of my pants, when I was a teenager. Now I draw more. Perhaps after I've acquired more experience I'll draw less. At the level I'm at now, I make stupid mistakes if I'm not careful--and having a plan helps me be careful.

No one said anything about strict adherence. I know people struggling in life because they don't have and won't make a plan (seriously)...

Best to you, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Where does designing jigs, for instance, fit in there? That's about the last thing I want to have to do when the planets are aligned and I have the time to actually be running machinery. I would confess, if I ended up in that position, that I hadn't planned well.

Reply to
Bill

A frugal concept, called "materials on hand". :)

That, and, as described above, to make it easier to shim the work table on an uneven surface, which was important at the time since the original floor of the shop, being a 1940's garage, had a pronounced crown.

There is no reason not to use 4x4's for the legs if you have them on hand.

At the time I was looking for something easy and quick to fabricate with materials on hand, inexpensive, extremely sturdy, and highly flexible in configuration with regard to installing different tops, drawers, etc in the future ... it is neither traditional, nor pretty, but it is highly functional and has provided all those elements in spades.

I've been using it daily for over ten years and would not change a thing ... although I keep thinking that one of these days I'll glue up an extra, interchangeable top of thick maple, something a bit less wide and more traditional for use with hand tools. (the top is currently mounted with cleats and screws to the top aprons).

Reply to
Swingman

Depends on the project. For a first of anything sometimes it's better to start hacking and see what develops. The result may suck but you'll have a better understanding of the problem when you go to do a top down design.

In the case of the "first bench", get a load of nails and 2x6s from Home Despot and hammer something vaguely bench-like together and you'll have killed two birds. First you'll have a work surface, however crappy, and second after you've used it a while you'll have a better idea of what you really want.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"J. Clarke" wrote

I have built a bunch of these temporary benches over the years. Some of them are still going after thirty years. They don't die. One idea that just spontaneously occurred was to put one outside. This becomes a work surface that is available, when weather permits, and doesn't tie up shop space. One bench I set up had the top warp a bit. I just took some 2 X 6's and nailed them on the top it. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. I have also done this with plywood.

I built a wood box out of 2 X 12's and put a plywood bottom on it. When I moved I was going to cut it up and burn it. I set it out on the patio in back and turned it over. It became my outside work bench. I recently screwed in some deck screws to control some warping on the side. The top is still good and fairly level. It just keeps going and going. It has been out there for about seven years now.

Never under estimate the usefulness of simple building materials banged together for a certain purpose. Every thing you build does not have to be art or furniture. Sometimes quick and dirty is all that is needed and can provide some useful support for more complex builds. It can also happen much more quickly than more complex builds. Saves a bunch of time.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

FWIW, here is a Sketchup model/dimensioned drawing of the frame and top of my current work bench on Google's 3D Warehouse:

Swingman

I don't know where it fits.

Jigs are a result of a need, either a onetime or frequent need. For one time use, down and dirty is good enough. For others, I try to build in some versatility. As an example, consider my ex-step father in law...

One time he visited he spied my newly made router table. He then set out to design his. He spent five years - FIVE YEARS - doing so. Many, many plan revisions. Highly detailed plans (he was an enginner/draughtsman).

His final revision called for it to be put together with mortise and tenon joints. Don't ask me why, I don't know but it presented a problem for him so he made a jig to make them. The jig he made was ONLY good for that one time use...for the lumber sizes he was using. It would have been easy to make it so it could be used in a more universal manner.

Reply to
dadiOH

Bill asked:

>Nice work! When I looked at the photograph you posted earlier, my mind saw an overlapping joint at the apron. Looking again, after looking at your drawing, I see it was an illusion. There is elegance in simplicity too.

Reply to
Bill

That particular design is stupid simple, but it works for me. And it costs what, less than $50 for the bench frame and can be built in a couple of hours? Add a top and shelf, and still less than $100.

AAMOF, I'd have two if the space were available. :)

Reply to
Swingman

I plan to use my proposed one to help subtly reclaim square-footage that has been overtaken by squatters!

(I forgot who I am borrowing the last expression from, but I like it).

Reply to
Bill

>After I mowed the lawn, I had time to cut the legs of my new bench today. I screwed a piece of 2by4 to the end of a face of a piece of old plywood (resting on saw horses) and put the factory ends of my four 4' pieces of 4by4 up against it. I clamped the 4by4s together with pipe clamps for good measure, and clamped a piece of 2by8 accoss the top, with F-clamps, to use for a fence for my circular saw. I was going to make the cut, when I thought this would make a good picture for you guys! ; ) So I took a quick pic, and made the 2" deep cut. Then I thought, now what? I cut the rest of the way through with a hand saw (a Menards freebee). The 2" deep cut worked like an old miter saw, and the cuts game out excellent I think--exceeding my expectations. Of course, there's flat, and then there's flat (like you strive to get with a shooting board). I'm assuming the former is flat enough (please correct me if I'm mistaken).

Regarding glue. One wouldn't want to glue the boards making-up the workbench top to the "frame" would one? It seems like with screws only, one always have the opportunity to easily put on a new top. And that is a valuable option.

Just having cut the legs--to size, I feel like I'm "over the hump". But dinner was called... Tomorrow, tomorrow... : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I understand your rejoicing at making sawdust. I've been at my project every day for a month, and watching yours progress since you started, too. I started out to consolidate 2 and maybe 3 wood racks and make a new bench. Each project necessitated another. The cleaning and sorting was expected, but... The neighbor was going to trash some Hardibacker concrete board, so where I had a plain, exposed-stud wall, now I have a finished, painted wall. That project wrapped around the corner into the adjoining mud room where I used up some old T-111 siding and finished off that room covering the exposed insulation I put up when I built it 15 years ago. Installed a 12K BTU window AC early on in the project, and it's gone from barely needing it, to being too hot to want to see what it costs to run it. It's nudging 90 daily. Top of bench will be 1 1/2 " laminated industrial particle board - about 150 pounds per sheet. Was good to get it trimmed to size just to lighten it a little. Made the side panels and uprights weeks ago, but finally started on the stretchers yesterday, cutting

2x6s to width and length then drilling intersecting holes for the bolts and nuts. The drill press made quick work of the 1" holes for nut access, but I went through two batteries getting up to the 7/16" bolt holes the depth of the bit. Sawdust is finally being made. Everything but a couple of 2x6s came off my 'save for later' shelves. The wife has been out there with me daily - a great help, and the company often keeps me going. Today is our anniversary, and I don't know if I should suggest an early start to maximize our togetherness or give her the day off. :) Glad to hear that you're back on the bench.

-J

snip>

Reply to
Joe