Deadwood?

How many of y'all are watching Deadwood? It is a series on HBO. We really enjoy the show and as always I watch for glimpses of woodworking details. The series prides itself on realism in the sets and costumes. The Grand Central Hotel for example, although a dump really, the suite that Mrs Garrett lives in is very nicely appointed.

Anyway, this Sunday last, the episode had Bullock with the coffin built for his son. Although they did not show him building it, that was implied and the woodworking was pretty good. Had a nice raised panel lid, compound miters, and molded base. Way too nice for a hardware and mining supply shop keeper, sometimes sheriff, to have built himself in a matter of a couple of days.

You can see it here in the scrolling photos of episode 23:

********Bill Pounds

Pounds on Wood

I saw that coffin too. I noticed earlier in the episode (maybe another episode I'm not sure) that the coffin maker was using a plane on the top of a coffin and the raised part of the panel was already there. Why would he be using a plane after assembly? My guess was that he was actually carving the entire top and the raised panel out of a single thick piece of material. It would take some time but could be accomplished with a plane.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

Darn! You gave it away. I haven't watched it yet.....

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Great show.

Hes also a carpenter in the show. He build the supply shop as well as his house in the first season. You would have to think in "those days" it would be a skill that pretty much everyone would have to have to some extent or another. Some obviously more than others.

Reply to
Rob V

Looks suspicously like plywood...

Reply to
musials

I've been watching that show. Anything with language that makes you have to pay close attention like that is worth watching in my book.

Last episode I was really impressed by the sheriff's house. Definately designed to stand out from the rest.

I believe the final episode for the season is this coming Sunday. Will be looking closer at the woodworking now that you mentioned it:-) Nice to know other woodworkers are too.

-Danny K

Reply to
Covey

Good point, the finish doesn't look like anything from the 19th C. I was figuring Styrofoam or maybe fiberglass because of the way he picked it up and carried it around. I think woodworking from that era, in particular something like a coffin, would probably have been green wood and very heavy.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

LOL.. Reminds me of one of the Ask TOH episodes. A couple has Tom Silva come in to do a repair. The husband told Tom that "he" had just redone the kitchen. When they go to the kitchen for a look, Tom said WOW did you build this yourself? The husband answered..... no. I guess he shoulda mentioned that "he got someone" to redo the kitchen.

Reply to
Leon