Dangers of wood stove in shop without dust collection

To see how our perception on hazard has changed over time Watch the

1890's house the next time it is on PBS. After restoring the house to the condition its was in 1890 and with the 1890 appliances, they had a very difficult time in getting the regulator to permit people to live today with those items.

For combusti> Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

How many instances do you want ? If you live in an older city, go and look in your local records - you're bound to find them. How about Boston and the infamous Molasses Tsunami ? Or Gateshead, where molten lead from the roof fire spilt down onto picric acid used for dyeing, and the resultant lead picrate explosive demolished half of the quayside.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Maybe not wood shops, but flour mills didn't even allow candles in the building.

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

Glad I could help.

Back when I lived in Montana my shop was heated with a wood stove but had no separate room. I just made up a box large enough to carry the glue and finishes and kept it in the heated bunk house till the shop reached a reasonable temperature.

A pain but it worked. Of course when the last of the kids moved out the bunk house became the shop. Much nicer.

Good luck.

Reply to
Mike G

Only if your dust collector isn't grounded. Oops! Wrong thread!

I would do it, but I wouldn't use solvent based finishes or glues while it was lit. I'd also be picky about where the stove was located compared to major dust generators, like router tables, power saws, and sanders. Care should be taken to keep the area around the stove, and the stove itself, clean. I have an oil-fired furnace in my shop right now, complete with internal open flame.

Just 'cuz I would do it, dosen't mean you should. It's not my fault if you blow up.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Yeah, he should use a thin kerf blade to make less dust. Not to mention the savings in wood cost. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Which incident has about the same relevance to the issue of woodstoves in wood shops as does Chernobyl.

Reply to
J. Clarke

A flour mill is not a "workshop", it's a "mill".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Better still: the negative kerf blade, and that does double-duty as a a dust collector.

Reply to
Stephen M

Well...after Chernobyl, I did rule out having a Russian made nuclear reactor in my home wood shop. :)

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

Well...after Chernobyl, I did rule out having a Russian made nuclear reactor in my home wood shop. :)

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

OOOooo, I like those, but have a hard time finding a good supplier. Any suggestions? I'm willing to trade a truck load of postholes for the right situation.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz notes:

Sorry. My S10 won't handle the weight.

Charlie Self "The lust of avarice as so totally seized upon mankind that their wealth seems rather to possess them than they possess their wealth." Pliny

Reply to
Charlie Self

How far away are you from me? I can deliver them in the loader, and install them with the backhoe if you're close enough. They're a bit crooked, but for most purposes they're fine.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz responds:

Ah, well, maybe I'm close enough. If so, I'll move away.

Charlie Self "The lust of avarice as so totally seized upon mankind that their wealth seems rather to possess them than they possess their wealth." Pliny

Reply to
Charlie Self

do they include installation?

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

BS. Before I ever got a DC, I hqd dust flying from my TS, Router and plqner while I was heating the shop with a woodburning stove.

The dust consintration is not high enough to cause an explosion or spntainous combustion.

IF the dust consintration ever got high enough to create a fire by spontainous combustion, you would not want to be in the room. AND IF YOU WERE NOT IN THE ROOM, NO DUST WOUKD BE MADE,.

Makes you wonder what kind of heat was used on mills before there was electricity?

=3D=3D

Re: Dangers of wood stove Hey folks. I'm moving into my new house ( and shop) next week. I am a bit concerned about the setup in my shop however. There is a woodstove for heat, and I do not have a dust collection setup. Am I looking at a fire hazard here?

Yes. And you might be, even *with* a dust collection system, because of fine airborne dust that comes through the filters or is never collected in the first place (dust collection systems are not 100% effective). Best solution is to have the woodshop and the wood stove in different rooms.

Reply to
Joe "Woody" Woodpecker

Nope, they're self-installing, but you've got to align them to north (of course) before setting 'em.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz states:

Deal killer. I'm moving back to Virginia where everything has to be aligned to the south.

Charlie Self "The lust of avarice as so totally seized upon mankind that their wealth seems rather to possess them than they possess their wealth." Pliny

Reply to
Charlie Self

Hm. These _are_ double-ended postholes, might they work if you turn them upside-down?

Reply to
Dave Hinz