Cutting small wedges for segmented vessels

Whoops - BIG typo.

Yes, it sure does... :-) Excruciatingly so. So much so that I think I'm going to go watch TV for the next week.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

precision isn't there yet. Do you have a quality hand plane? Would it be possible to rough out the pieces using your bandsaw jig, then do the precision fitting by using the handplane on adjoining sections simultaneously?

Mark & Juanita

Umm, go back and look at the post where you were contemplating mounting one on the lathe. You got a donor in mind? =:-O

Mark & Juanita

Must be advancing age - I can't type anymore... But you're right - same mistake - same word. Hmmm....

Or it could be this cheap-#%$ keyboard... If it turns off the "insert" key one more time... I'm sending it back to

[POT]

China.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Hadn't thought about that one, but the differing angles and grain direction would be tough for a plane. But Lee Valley _does_ have that new variable (blade) angle plane... Ohh, Honey....

Sanding would probably be the way to go on this... Probably the best control over what material gets removed...

I think the solution in this case is one of the following:

a) Come up with a platform disk sander with a bed and miter track jig. b) Go to Sears (uggh) and find another tablesaw. c) Drink copiously and forget about it all... ;-)

Thanks,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Well for crap's sake, you know perfectly well that a table saw is the tool you need. Go and buy another table saw or don't do projects that require one. You've shot down every suggestion because you already know the answer. What's the point? Your first order of business is to get a table saw, not to figure out how to do your work without your essential tool.

Reply to
Battleax

Yea, yea... Sears, right. Not many other places to buy one around here - especially on Saturday night/Sunday.

The disk sander jig was a pretty good idea... One that I will probably use WITH a T-saw in the future.

I HAVE my _essential_ tool, thanks. ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I use the Incra. With the stop and the fairly rigid angle setting, it's nearly perfect - I tried doing 12x regular sized and gluing them up, but it always left a hairline opening somewhere. Truing halves gets rid of that, but the accuracy of the Incra means the segments end up all the same size.

Also, the incra happens to have that zero-clearance edge and T-slots for doing the half-ring-trimming step.

I can one up you. I *wrote* a program to do that :-)

But how do you cut them wi...

Idea: Mill a larger board, say a hardwood 2x4, with a routed slot on top just wide enough for the width of your segment stock. Use it to hold the stock while you cut it in the miter saw. Or, with a slot deeper than your stock, you could clamp a straight board on top of it at the right angle and use a dovetail saw to cut a thin slot, making a custom precision miter box. I've done this for cutting tiny model rocket parts.

You can even mill cross-slots for stops.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Well, if you're close to accurate, you only need to make two half circles and then adjust each to 180 degrees. If you're lucky, the amount you have to take off of each semicircle will be small enough to pass un-noticed.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

That sounds pretty good. Except for the $260 price tag... :-o I'm kind of a build it yourself kinda guy... I could never get a crowbar that deep...

I've written some stuff in C, ASM, VB, HTML, JAVA, but geometry was, unfortunately, a long time ago. And programming was mostly a hobby...

Wrote the software for a PIC microcontroller based aquarium controller years ago, but haven't messed much with it lately...

> But how do you cut them wi...

I've been working out a plan, the ideas presented here got my lethargic brain working somewhat.

Hmmm - model rockets. I have built a few of those in my younger days. Spent weeks building them, painting them, and then losing them in treetops... ;-)

There was a show on History Channel a month or so ago, I forgot the name, that highlighted some of the model rocketeers in SoCA. Brought back fond memories of Land Sharks, Scuds, and M-80s.

Sorry I didn't see your post till now - the general noise level in here was a little high. But at least the 'IP troll' and his Caner have seemingly departed.

Thanks, DJ

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

How about a BS and not so accurate cuts. Glue the pieces together until you get a half circle, do that again, sand those 2 half circles flat and glue them together.

Reply to
Leon

"The disk sander jig was a pretty good idea..."

Cutting the pcs. on a band saw then sanding them on a disc sander is OK, draw the outline of the segment on the wood, being careful to align the grain the right way, cut just outside the line, sand to the line on disc (or belt) sander.

" Glue the pieces together until you get a half circle, do that again, sand those 2 half circles flat and glue them together. "

This is what I typically do reguardless of how I cut the segments to begin with. The rec.crafts.woodturning forum might be a better place to ask this question.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner

Couldnt you use your bandsaw and then straighten up with the Jointer???

Reply to
Doug Schultz

at this point getting another searz saw sounds like giving up.

bite the bullet and get a general.

Reply to
bridger

Designed motherboards and wrote BIOS codes for them in a previous job. Work for Red Hat Inc at the moment. In my case, *woodworking* is the hobby :-)

Me too, although since I like building them more than flying them, I look at that as "making room to build more" :-)

Used to build RC airplanes too, but didn't like flying (or repairing) them as much as building them.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Generally segments for turning are pretty small and short compared with what's considered safe to run over a jointer.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

DJ, You left out the 'a'. Both of them.

Designed/built a PC-slot peripheral that allowed connection of such things as 16 port data acquisition, (E)EPROM & PIC programming, etc.

was back a few years, and I had designs and partially completed projects consisting of X-Y Gerber drilling machines and such.

But now you can get a set of proto-boards for $70 - one place even gives away some reasonably good software for PCB design.

But to top it off, my dad can beat your dad - any day.

If it's any consolation - they are BOTH hobbies for me now. Got away from electronics due to the disposable nature of it all. Nothing has any temporal value. Went into software - Oh, Yeah, now that's a LOT better...

Red Hat - isn't that a free download? (I have an older copy.) How DO you make money at that... How about Knoppix? Kinda neat to boot and run OS from a CD.

(And don't even get me started on open-source vs. Gates and Company.) I want to run Apache, but our customers ALL use Windoze. So I have to run it on our servers in order to troubleshoot their problems. Many, many problems. Every SP release problems. Obscure, bizarre problems. Problems that consume vast amounts of time... Arrggh!!!

Got into the RC planes about the same time as I got a drivers license. You can guess which one won out... Hmm... toys... or cars, toys... or women, toys... or freedom.

I guess age gives you the ability to relive your childhood - your way.

Thanks,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Thanks Walt.

And actually, I did. I posted it here first by mistake. Out of habit. Wasn't paying attention. Pick one or all.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G