cutting down / cutting up trees

Can certainly relate.

Had an uncle in North Central Indiana who had a 1938 John Deere tractor he built a frame to hang on the front end to support a BIG saw blade that was powered by a flat belt (same as a thrasher except smaller belt).

He used it to clear brush.

Saw it mounted on the tractor and it scared the devil out of me.

Never saw it in service, just as happy I didn't.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Splitting rock elm at -10F - the wood heats twice that way!! But it splits cleanly and easily, compared to splitting it unfrozen.

Reply to
clare

b) a splitter costs a lot more money than an axe c) I don't any exercise

Reply to
Konstabel Els

"Konstabel Els" wrote

but a) it's not eco friendly b) a splitter costs a lot more money than an axe c) I don't any exercise ================== I always remember that old chestnut, "Wood warms you twice. Once when you cut it and again when you burn it."

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reminds me of my daily count when I come out of the shop. If I can count to 21, it's been a good day. One day I counted 20. Not a good day.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

er...you must be a tad older than myself ;-)

Reply to
Konstabel Els

I'm told that alder (local hardwood in Seattle) splits best when green. I haven't tried it both ways, but local tradition on the issue is strong...

Reply to
whit3rd

indeed...local tradition vs logic ;-)

Reply to
Luitenant Verkramp

We cut green and split green in Northern Ca. When you can use the hydrologic pressure of the wood itself it helps.

A lot of wood compresses and shrinks making it harder.

Mart> >>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I live in the middle of the Canadian prairies. What is this "hot" and "humid" that you speak of?

Reply to
Doug Brown

Think back to last Summer, which I believe is August 14 in your part of the prairie. It was about 95dF and 95% relative humidity. That was the"hot" and "humid" that some of these southern US types speak of? As I recall, a front came through the next day and it snowed. Oh well... mahalo, eh? jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Fortunately, for those of us on the prairie there aren't any trees to have to be bothered about cutting and splitting whatever this thing called "firewood" is... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

It's what we southerners get for free and you northerners pay for. It's called a sauna.

Reply to
Bill

More generally, it's called "free heat".

Reply to
krw

Hey! I represent that...

...northerners can have "free heat" if/when they want it. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I was a northerner all my life (IL, NY, VT, OH), then decided to get the "free heat" last year. We moved to Alabama. ;-)

Reply to
krw

After being raised in South Dakota (the only windbreak between us and the north pole was one tree in Minot ND), the family moved to Californee. I took an oath never to touch snow again. Then after more years than I can think about, I retired and moved into the nearby mountains. Twelve feet of snow last winter. [dope slap]

There are a few problems with living in Paradise.

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Indeed. We had about 5" of snow here in Eastern Alabama last winter. SWMBO (said she) wasn't happy about it. It was a perfect snowfall though. Snow only stuck to green things.

Well, sometimes there is too much "free heat" here. It's been a while since I've been able to play with my toys.

Reply to
krw

C'mon Jo4hn, there are at least three or four more trees in Saskatchewan - I know 'cause I've seen 'em myself!

Reply to
Doug Brown