Cutting brass (2023 Update)

I'm looking to a slot the heads of some brass knurled knobs. I was thinking of mounting them in a line recessed in a piece of wood. I was going to use threaded inserts to hold the knobs and a jam nut on the back to fix the knob to hold its depth and keep from rotating. I can then use my table saw (with an old carbide tip blade) to cut through the wood, and brass in small increments until I have the slot at the right depth.

Sound like a bad idea? Suggestion?

Reply to
krw

While this can work for aluminum, a table saw is far too fast for brass.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

How many are you talking about here? If it's a handful or less I'd be inclined to do it with handtools..., e.g., hacksaw, slitting file, screw slot file. For relatively small knobs and slots the slitting and slot files would suffice. For relatively large knobs with larger slots the hacksaw would be the place to start. You could take it to the next level and clock the slots so they all line up when tight... e.g., install them with padded pliers and make the slot direction and then cut the slots. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

That should read "mark the slots" not "make the slots". ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

The screws are 1/4-20 and the heads 3/4". The width of the slot isn't all that important. I'd like them to look nice. It's for a Shaper Workstation. ;-)

I ordered a metal blade from Amazon. The description says it'll cut brass. I'll bury them in a 2x4 when I'm cutting so I shouldn't be in too much danger. I looked around online and I found many sites saying that it can be done but be careful of the "sticky" problem.

Reply to
krw

Hand tools ≠ crude. ;~) The gunsmiths at Colonial Williamsburg make screws by hand and those guns sell for $10-20K+ (mostly depending on the barrel and lock used).

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I'll let you know when I'm done with my gun. I'll expect $20,000. Cash (PayPal is reported to the 87,000 new IRS agents).

Reply to
krw

I have connections there... worked for the foundation.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

That's one of the wonders of the world. How did these guys, 250 years ago, make a rifle? A musket is one thing but a rifle is something else entirely. Gunsmithing really is high art.

Reply to
krw

You might be interested in the movie "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg." I saw that movie in school when it first came out (around '69 or '70) and wanted to do it... and about 17 years later I found myself working in the shop as a skilled craft interpreter. It's on YouTube. BTW, there are records of rifled guns going back to the 15th century, i.e., it was nothing new in the 18th century!

John Grossbohlin

Good grief. 50,000 of those are to replace retiring agents, and the rest just return the IRS to a reasonable staffing level.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

They are short staffed, my quarterly payment coupons just made it to my mail box in time for me to make a payment in April last year. And refunds seem to be taking much longer.

Reply to
Leon

Tell us about the additional $80B, daddy.

Reply to
krw

I see you've met micky in another group. How that work out for you?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Actually, I thought I was posting here at first. The signal to noise ratio is too low for me but as long as I made the mistake I thought I'd ride it.

I don't know anything about Micky. He tried but a wingnut isn't going to work. I don't think he read my original post.

Reply to
krw