Current tap/ auto switch.

I have a Craftsman Current Tap... handiest little device. It turns on my vac, as I start my sander. Now I was wondering if somebody in this NG knew of a tri-ac switch like that which would work the same, but the supply power to the accessory could come from a different source. As it is now, the total is 15 amps... and that isn't sufficient for what I am trying to do. I could use the Craftsman Current Tap to throw a relay which would launch a much bigger event, but I don't want to have to design/build the thing. I am therefore hoping that there is a ready-made unit like that.

I would appreciate any and all nudges in the right direction.

Thanks

0¿0

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy

Think of the triac as a relay. Instead of a coil, the gate is triggered to make it conduct.

If you can feed the triac from a separate circuit, on the same side of the

240 entrance, then you'll accomplish your goal. Find the side of the triac that is fed from the cord, lift it, and feed it from another breaker. You have to be on the same side of the 240 to maintain the proper phase relationship between power and gate.

The neutrals should be connected together in the Sears box.

This should feed the tool through the original cord and the second load through the new cord.

Mail me offlist if you don't understand this. Remember, you could make sparks or blow a breaker if you don't do this right. Wilson

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

Think of the triac as a relay. Instead of a coil, the gate is triggered to make it conduct.

If you can feed the triac from a separate circuit, on the same side of the

240 entrance, then you'll accomplish your goal. Find the side of the triac that is fed from the cord, lift it, and feed it from another breaker. You have to be on the same side of the 240 to maintain the proper phase relationship between power and gate.

The neutrals should be connected together in the Sears box.

This should feed the tool through the original cord and the second load through the new cord.

Mail me offlist if you don't understand this. Remember, you could make sparks or blow a breaker if you don't do this right.

A relay in a box is really the right answer. Wilson

Reply to
Wilson Lamb
[snip]

First of all, thank you for nudging me onto the right path. Very much appreciated and understood.

The whole idea of a Tri-ac scares me a little. I would like a simple sander to fire up a 5 hp dust collector. ( I don't have one of those yet, but why build twice?) Besides, a relay offers me a lot of options....and they are all over surplus stores.

*tip-of-the-hat*

Rob

Reply to
Robatoy