Craft organizer cubes

A year or two ago, my wife gave me a page out of a catalog for these modular craft organizer cubes (long link, may wrap):

was an obvious hint about what she wanted, but I didn't have time then.

Now, I'd like to make a bunch of these, 20 or so (yeah, she's got enough craft crap to use them all...). I'm thinking plywood to make it quick and easy. My concern is a good finish. These cubes are obviouslly melamie (sp) covered.

Any ideas of a good looking finish? Plain old paint would work I suppose, but if there is a better looking method for as much or less work, I'm game.

John

Reply to
John T

Hi, I'd make them out of melamine. Already finished. Also, I would not make 20 individual cubes. When you stack them up, you get double bottoms and tops. Wasted material.

Good luck, Bob

> It was an obvious hint about what she wanted, but I didn't have time then. >

Reply to
Bob Meyer

The borg stores sell that material in long lengths, you could just buy and, cut and assemble. They have it predrilled with the shelf holes on the sides.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

I've used that also. If you don't end up with the finished edge on the front of all of them, try fastcap.com for edge banding in white and many other colors. Could you make slightly taller boxes and make use of the shelf holes? Or maybe stagger the boxes as they're stacked? As mentioned earlier, stacking cubes directly on top of each other would waste a lot of storage surface area. Of course, if that's what your wife wants, it's probably not worth arguing (as I'm still learning...) Andy

Reply to
Andy

Have you considered something like this:

bought one in cherry 'cause I needed it now but it would be simple to make your own. Sides, top/bottom, and shelves are screwed together. Vertical dividers are held by dowels, through the shelves and into the top/bottom. Backs are some cardboard stuff.

If I were making them and wanted them to look extra nice, I'd use BORG hardwood plywood, edge band, and stain. Just nice, I'd use melamine and edge band it.

Jess.S

Reply to
Jesse R Strawbridge

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'm aware of the stuff sold by the borg, but I didn't know they came pre-drilled also. I'll have to check it out.

Whats the best type of blade to use to cut these on the TS without chipping?

Andy-Never mind using logic on the wife-it doesn't work when she want something! :)

John

Reply to
John T

Exactly! Fortunately, chocolate/flowers/hugs are equally illogical SOLUTIONS to many problems, but they can still make a big difference. As far as a blade for melamine, there are melamine-specific blades available that have a negative rake angle (check out infinitytools.com for some very nice ones). One other idea I've seen is to tape over your cut line with masking tape to reduce chip-out, and make sure you're cutting IN TO the good side (i.e. good face up on table saw or good face down for handheld circ saw). If BOTH sides are visible and you're still having problems with chipout, you might try cutting 1/8" wide and using a router with straightedge guide and a spiral up+downcut bit ("compression bit"?), like

to finish the edge. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy