Couple of questions from apprentis termite

Being relative new at this woodworking hobby (I do build a pretty darn good fence and decks) I need some advice.

1) I've got this burning desire to buy a Incra Twin Linear and there is a woodworking show coming to the Seattle area next weekend. Is it possible (or even probable) I may find it there with a "Show Special" price? Do these kind of things happen at these shows? Or should I go ahead and get it from Woodpeckers?

2) Does HVLP mean high volume low pressure?

3) What kind of wood is 'Mission' style furniture usually made from? I'm kind of commited to making a display box for my son to show his collection of golf balls. I figured this could be a good starter project and his furniture is mostly the 'Mission' style.

Thanks all,

ELAhrens

Reply to
ELA
1) Not sure (sorry) 2) Yes, High Pressure Low Volume 3) White oak, preferrably quarter sawn, if you can afford it. Also, Stickley used a finishing technique called "ammonia fuming" where you put the piece in a "tent" (literally, a tent, or you can construct an enclosure with Plastic and 2x2s), put in high concentrated ammonia, and let the ammonia "fume" into the wood. This allows the stain to penetrate deeper into the wood and provides even coverage. The downside is that its dangerous -- ammonia fumes can be quite harmful. I think you can google "ammonia fuming" and get plenty of information)

Good luck, David

Reply to
David Henkemeyer

You won't use it a fraction as much as you expect (IMHE)

Quite probably. You can certainly wait until the weekend and find out.

Yes.

"Mission" means almost as wide a range as "arts and crafts".

The classic Mission / Craftsman / A&C timber is quartersawn white oak, so as to show the ray-flake pattern (only visible on a radial face). Finishing is by ammonia fuming (sometimes by staining, but ammonia is easy) to accentuate this. Ammonia, oil, then shellac is my usual sequence.

Historically, a lot of the low-end stuff was ash, stained to resemble oak.

Andy Dingley